Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the top bolt of the fox 2.0 front shock...without having to empty the engine bay...

Top of the bolt have a hole for allen key but you can't get to the top.

I can come up with something but there's got to be an easier way.

3rd set of shocks on the jeep and the other two either had the top of the bolt with flat spot for a wrench and the other had a nut welded under the lower bushing cup at the top of the rod but those fox shock I'm not so impress right now...you can't grab on the body either. I'm not willing to do that it will wreck the body.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Passengers side? I cut the plastic fin that comes down from the battery tray.

Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the fuse box is over top. I can get the driver from on top but seem to me you got to take the whole battery tray with fuse box out to get at it on the passenger

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Because the vertical fins sticking down from the plastic fuse box and battery tray block access to the bolt, right? I used a Dremel Multi Max to cut those fins and give access to the bolt.

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
I set the nut on top of the tower, then raised the shock up into position. When the stem came in contact with the bolt I started rotating the shock body by hand and held the nut with the other hand, just to get it started. After the threads were started I put a wrench on the nut and rotated the shock body by hand until tight. Was really a pretty easy process doing it this way, took me about 10 minutes to swap each side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The nut is a nylock nut and you can't hold the body hard enough to get it to tread in. How do you preload the bushing ? It's got to be somewhat tight. I know the top one doesent have to be torqued but I don't want to put Any pipe wrench on the body.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Swing the shock towards the front or rear and hold with just enough pressure to keep it from spinning while you tighten the nut with a wrench. Use of a gear wrench will speed this along.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to hold the body is the way to go then. We'll that's stupid desing. Why not have a spot at the top of the bolt for a wrench like the oem one...I guess it make to much sense.

I think I'm gonna get a filter type of wrench to hold the body.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cut the short end of an Allen wrench down to a stub, leaving just enough to engage the end of the shock. It will be a tight fit but is doable. Also it's a good idea to grip the end of the Allen wrench with a small pair of vice grips for ease of removal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really tight fit on the passenger side. Can't even put my finger on top of the bolt. I brake most of the plastic already.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really tight fit on the passenger side. Can't even put my finger on top of the bolt. I brake most of the plastic already.

That's for sure. I've installed two sets of fox 2.0's, one on a '14 and the other on a '15. I used a custom stubby Allen wrench for the first set. The second set I was able to leverage the shock causing the threaded shaft to bind and not spin while tightening the nut. This method was so much easier. I didn't trim or break the plastic in either case. Although I do agree a hex end vs the Allen hole would be a much better design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts