Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I purchased mopar coils ala carte and slapped some 5000x shocks on, believe they were 29 and 30. They've been fine, I clear coated them prior to install but am already seeing quite bit of rust in just a couple months. Looking to swap in fox 2.0 and wondering which length. Have read the fox shocks that come with the lift kit, can be purchased through moparonline are short and 0-2" in length. Would it be better to go with 1.5-3 fox from Northridge or are those too long? Wound an additional spring spacer be needed for the longer shocks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
If they are stock coils and you have stock bumpstops you need stock length shocks. Longer shocks, taller bumpstops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not stock length coils, they are from the 2" mopar lift that I bought separately. I have 2" bumpstops.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
They are not stock length coils, they are from the 2" mopar lift that I bought separately. I have 2" bumpstops.
Then your are safe to go with the longer 2” lift shocks. I don’t think it matter which you get but the ones from Mopar might be valved a different. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, what I am trying to get at is if I should go with the fox 0-2" or the 1-3.5" shocks. My understanding is the mopar kits ship with the 0-2" and these are considered on the shorter side for the amount of lift you get when installing those springs. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I purchased my Mopar 2” coils a la carte as well.
I went with the Mopar 0-2” Fox shocks and they are a tad too short for me as I put 1” spacers on my coils.

It rides like a dream and has decent flex but would go with the longer non-Mopar shocks if I had it to do over again.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
Thanks for the responses, what I am trying to get at is if I should go with the fox 0-2" or the 1-3.5" shocks. My understanding is the mopar kits ship with the 0-2" and these are considered on the shorter side for the amount of lift you get when installing those springs. Thanks.
The Mopar 2” springs are labeled 2” lift springs, but they are really 2.5” lift springs and as most 2.5” lift springs do they actually tend to lift 3” or more. As such, shocks made for an unlifted Jeep would be too short. The Fox 0 - 2” shocks are able to work on a stock height Jeep since they are about the same length compressed as the stock shocks. If you are running 2” bumpstop extensions you can run a shock that is 2” longer compressed than the stock shocks. That extra length will buy you more droop than you would get with the shorter shocks.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Don't he has to watch for his DS rubbing the exhaust boot with 2" longer shocks?. Similar situation i'm in as of this moment but I didn't do springs though, i did spacers front and rear and gained 2 5/16 front lift and 1 3/4 rear still on the factory springs (17/58). I did go with longer shocks and 2" bumpstops as i'll be running 315/70/17 tires. My front shock stockers are 22.5 extended, rears are 22 9/16, so i went with what i thought was memory :) to 24" extended shocks RE RXJ713 front and RE RXJ714 25" in the back. Turns out the front shocks fully extended were 25", and my DS boot was contacting the exhaust shield badly. Nothing happened cause i haven't offroaded yet (I lifted the wheels in the air hung up by the frame to verify).
Then i started jacking up the front axel to compress the shock until i found what i think we'll be the max shock lenght i can run without DS boot contact, at least in my Jeep, and that is 23 11/16" extended

This is the pic that shows the clearance between that boot and the exhaust, that's half pinky finger....
2021-06-09_03-49-01 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

This is max on the shock i can have extended
2021-06-09_03-48-53 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

So i'm returning my front RE shocks and i went back to front stockers for now. big difference in handling, stockers are really a POS once you try something different hahaha.

I'll be either doing an Adams 1310 front DS with new 25-25.5" extended shocks
Or putting that on hold and going with one of these shock sets, (they're are supposed to be 0" lift but they're a tiny bit longer than stock

OME 60066
22.83​
13.7​
Rancho RS77326
23.42​
15.24​
RC 23178_C
22.9​
13.97​
Skyjacker B8535
23.32​
14.04​
Fox 985-24-027
22.95​
14.35​

I'm affraid the Rancho set might allow the boot to contact, but without measuring who knows. My RE shock was supposed to be 24" extended, but it's 24.5" in reality, Not counting the 1/2 shock bushings.. When you have the factory DS every 1/2" counts :) so i'd say OME, RC or Fox are more like the safest bets.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
In my basic lift i have factory springs with spacers (17/58) combo with 1.75" front top spacers, in the back i have 0.75" spacers in the top, with coil wedges at the bottom so they should be good for 1/4"
I'm running all the spacers with the factory isolators.

In my observations with this setup i found the following:
Front springs will support 26.5" extended shocks
Rear springs will support 25 3/4" extended shocks

It's been a few years since the last time i messed with a Jeep Wrangler so i'm a bit rusted but the memories are starting to come back :)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Don't he has to watch for his DS rubbing the exhaust boot with 2" longer shocks?. Similar situation i'm in as of this moment but I didn't do springs though, i did spacers front and rear and gained 2 5/16 front lift and 1 3/4 rear still on the factory springs (17/58). I did go with longer shocks and 2" bumpstops as i'll be running 315/70/17 tires. My front shock stockers are 22.5 extended, rears are 22 9/16, so i went with what i thought was memory :) to 24" extended shocks RE RXJ713 front and RE RXJ714 25" in the back. Turns out the front shocks fully extended were 25", and my DS boot was contacting the exhaust shield badly. Nothing happened cause i haven't offroaded yet (I lifted the wheels in the air hung up by the frame to verify).
Then i started jacking up the front axel to compress the shock until i found what i think we'll be the max shock lenght i can run without DS boot contact, at least in my Jeep, and that is 23 11/16" extended

This is the pic that shows the clearance between that boot and the exhaust, that's half pinky finger....
2021-06-09_03-49-01 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

This is max on the shock i can have extended
2021-06-09_03-48-53 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

So i'm returning my front RE shocks and i went back to front stockers for now. big difference in handling, stockers are really a POS once you try something different hahaha.

I'll be either doing an Adams 1310 front DS with new 25-25.5" extended shocks
Or putting that on hold and going with one of these shock sets, (they're are supposed to be 0" lift but they're a tiny bit longer than stock

OME 60066
22.83​
13.7​
Rancho RS77326
23.42​
15.24​
RC 23178_C
22.9​
13.97​
Skyjacker B8535
23.32​
14.04​
Fox 985-24-027
22.95​
14.35​

I'm affraid the Rancho set might allow the boot to contact, but without measuring who knows. My RE shock was supposed to be 24" extended, but it's 24.5" in reality, Not counting the 1/2 shock bushings.. When you have the factory DS every 1/2" counts :) so i'd say OME, RC or Fox are more like the safest bets.

Hope it helps.
I believe the boot contacting the exhaust loop began with the 2012 my, at the inception of the 3.6 era.
I could be wrong, but if not then 07-11 are okay with the extra droop.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts