Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my steering stabilizer on a 2002 Wrangler and I want to go with a Fox Shocks stabilizer. Does anyone know the part number I will need or any other valuable information that will be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,956 Posts
If that Fox steering damper is gas charged, I wouldn't go that way. Gas-charged steering dampers (aka stabilizers) can cause the steering to want to drift off to the side due to it being gas pressurized. Generally speaking, hydraulic steering dampers are the way to go.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I would just run to the auto parts store and pick up an off-the-shelf brand. No need to spend $200

·
Registered
144 Posts
If that Fox steering damper is gas charged, I wouldn't go that way. Gas-charged steering dampers (aka stabilizers) can cause the steering to want to drift off to the side due to it being gas pressurized. Generally speaking, hydraulic steering dampers are the way to go.
I just installed currie currectlync HD steering and HD track bar. I also installed a rancho 5000 steering stabilizer on the currie drag link bracket. I believe it is gas charged and I can definitely feel it drifting my steering to the side.. I am in the process of looking for a replacement and may go with Monroe...

·
Knows a couple things...
48,956 Posts
The RS5000 is a twin-tube shock that is basically hydraulic in operation with a small low-pressure gas charge to help prevent foaming/cavitation of the hydraulic fluid. They're not the same as a standard gas-charged shock.

I also run the Rancho RS5000 steering damper and my steering is fine, it doesn't tend to drift at all. And when I installed my RS5000, it acted like a normal hydraulic shock in that it did not try to expand out on its own when installing it like a gas-charged shock does.

I suspect there's something else causing your steering drift to the side. Bad alignment, a sticking brake caliper, or uneven tire pressure comes to mind. :)

The below from Wikipedia:

"Variously known as a "gas cell two-tube" or similarly-named design, this variation represented a significant advancement over the basic twin-tube form. Its overall structure is very similar to the twin-tube, but a low-pressure charge of nitrogen gas is added to the reserve tube. The result of this alteration is a dramatic reduction in "foaming" or "aeration", the undesirable outcome of a twin-tube overheating and failing which presents as foaming hydraulic fluid dripping out of the assembly."

·
Registered
144 Posts
The RS5000 is a twin-tube shock that is basically hydraulic in operation [/I]"
I appreciate this Jerry. I did the basic alignment/toe in based on your info from other threads. So now I'll be looking into a professional alignment! thanks again!

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Fox is heading back to Savvy. Jeep's road manners with it on are not very nice. I suspect something is wrong with it, as does Savvy. Have a Monroe I bought installed right now until I get it back. Would tell you how it handles, but I don't know, got other stuff tore apart. I ran around without a stab on for a while and road manners were fine.

I think I would have saved myself the $130 I paid for it and gotten something smaller and simpler If I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think if you have to run a stabilizer at all, you probably have something going on with your steering. I haven't run one at all in years, besides, I always smash them flat on rocks ! lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think if you have to run a stabilizer at all, you probably have something going on with your steering. I haven't run one at all in years, besides, I always smash them flat on rocks ! lol
Offroad I wouldn't worry about it, but they definitely help on the freeway. My set up is above DL so you would effectively have to smash TR/DL first.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yup, I never relocated mine. I have had my JKUR for 8 years. I don't even think anyone had a system for relocation back then. That's when I started smashing them, and just stopped buying them. That's when I noticed they really weren't doing anything for me.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,956 Posts
Steering stabilizers shouldn't even be called steering stabilizers. They're there solely to dampen out shocks and jolts on the highway and to help isolate the steering system from them. They're not there to "stabilize" steering though that is a side effect of what they're actually there to do. Yes they're a good idea to have no matter what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts