Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the VKS thread on JKO. Not expecting much help on the weekend.

Does anybody else here have this ? 2007 Jk .. Theres a u shaped chuck of 1/8 or so metal wrapped around the frame where the skid bolts in.
This will leave a gap behind the sliders leg. Curious if this is unique to my 07 or not and what to do. Im thinking grinding it down .. Thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Is the mounting hole on the bottom slotted enough to move the slider that 1/8 closer to the frame? If so, yeah... grab a grinder. Is it only at that mounting location? If so, then even more reason to grind it off.

If it was like that at each mounting location, it might make sense to tack an 1/8 flat piece to the frame at each spot behind the slider.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the mounting hole on the bottom slotted enough to move the slider that 1/8 closer to the frame? If so, yeah... grab a grinder. Is it only at that mounting location? If so, then even more reason to grind it off. If it was like that at each mounting location, it might make sense to tack an 1/8 flat piece to the frame at each spot behind the slider.
Good thinking on that. Yes it is
Only the one position. The frame is doubled up 100% on the pass side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
my jku has nothing like that welded on where the skid mounts I wonder if it was something they thought needed beefed up early on for the welded nut?

if they attach like the LOD's where you need to tap the drilled holes that one will be a bitch to drill that way right on the edge at least grind that part off and maybe shim behind the slider bracket

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
my jku has nothing like that welded on where the skid mounts I wonder if it was something they thought needed beefed up early on for the welded nut?
Thanks for looking. Wtf thats a lot of grinding to clean up the front and lower sections. I could just do the front but the slider would sit 1/8 lower and not % flush on the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
I am going from memory but I think the lower sway bar bolts fit those threads. I would probably just shim behind the slider mount so when it is sucked down it will be un-noticibal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just looking at it and on their website, its possible the piece is superfluous but before I cut it off I would make sure. I build sliders based upon the Rubicon OEM slider and I have never cut them off, but....I like the VKS sliders, very good, very good quality, impressed!!

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
how big of an opening is there? can you slide a piece of bar stock in as a washer and slip a flag nut on top of the bar stock?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how big of an opening is there? can you slide a piece of bar stock in as a washer and slip a flag nut on top of the bar stock?
The hole looks to to be 3/4 maybe 1"
I put the bolt back in, ground the face flat and painted the bare metal.

Theres no opening close to the hole in the back for a flag.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Is the nut part of the piece you were grinding on? Are you going to re-weld that to the frame?

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
Jeff, im looking at this some more. That u-plate is how the nut is put in there. The nut is welded to the plate. How would they do without it?

To be clear this is only the driver side rear bolt which also attaches the factory trans skid.
My guess is they just add the nut before welding the frame together. Also maybe two door and four door frames are diff.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
I would just add a plate the same thickness or just reweld another nut on a plate so you have larger surface to suck it down to

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
Make a channel with 3/16" chunk of plate

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
Just slip some shims between the frame and leg bracket

1 - 20 of 32 Posts