Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just blew out inner frame rails with air nozzle....still more dirt,sand, and big rust flakes...used a magnet to get most out...want to coat frame rails with por 15 and inside rails...but are therre any less expensive options...been pouring $ into jeep since I bought it..looking for inexpensive protection.?? Also inside frame rails...what methods have been tried...did google search and the eastwood spray can looked good but again wanted to try something less $...possible rustoleum.....i will have jeep on a rack Saturday.?? All advice welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the products you mentioned are really not that expensive compared to other options and products, and, they work well and are proven to help fight corrosion, something you do not want to skimp on with these jeeps. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just did my frame with the Eastwood internal frame coating and did Por15 on the outside. It worked out great. However, before you do that, I would suggest drilling a hole in the frame near the rear LCA so that water drains out. Like you, I blew out my frame and even vacuumed it out with a shop vac and smaller hose that I was able to send down inside the frame. After that, I washed it all out. 5 days later there were still puddles inside my frame. That's when I drilled the holes.

As you can see in this video I made, there is plenty of water that sits in that frame. Create proper drainage first, let it all dry out for a couple of days, and then do the coatings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9i7OtAY0to

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^that's the same spot I drilled in my TJ's frame....on your vid I see it took some effort for the bit to cut thru the frame bottom so that is a good sign for your frame.

·
Registered
284 Posts
^that's the same spot I drilled in my TJ's frame....on your vid I see it took some effort for the bit to cut thru the frame bottom so that is a good sign for your frame.
Yeah, and I edited the video to show only the last couple of seconds before it broke through. I also wire-wheeled off some surface rust just a couple of days before the video and you can see just how fast that bare metal in those spots starts to rust up again. I feel better that it's all protected now.

Many people neglect it and go on to do other mods first. For me, I would rather make sure the frame is going to last me a long time before I start pouring money into other mods. I've seen people dump thousands into their Jeeps on lifts, tires, bumpers, winches etc, only to find out their Jeep is rotting away underneath and now they have to spend big bucks on a frame swap or repair. Or worse, take off all those mods and buy a new Jeep only to do it all over again.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
ditto. I was fortunate to find a TJ with very little rust at all but I still went ahead and drilled frame holes, coated the inside of frame with the Eastwood stuff and then POR-15'd the frame exterior, I even used the POR-15 chassis coat on all the underside components, axles, control arms, steering, , spindles, skid plate, just about every inch under it is now coated in POR-15 and it didn't even need it to begin with. I think I spent maybe $125 on materials, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
does the eastwood stuff dry like a paint? or stay gooey like undercoating? and how many cans for a jeep frame? the outside of my frame looks good but I do find some small rust flakes every now and again when I pressure wash the inside.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It dries like a hard shell. Not sticky at all. I've heard people say you need 2 cans per side but I think that's too much. I bought 2 cans (1 per side) and it just made it. If I were to do it again, i would buy 3 cans and I think that would be fine

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^dries like paint. to do a TJ frame, both sides, front to back, you need 3-4 cans to get good coverage, since you cannot "see" what you are spraying you need to lay down extra material to be certain you have full coverage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts