Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

This past weekend I had to work on the rear passenger on my 95 Rio grande. I purchased a sleeve to fit into the frame
After cutting some of the bad parts. My problem is that I cannot get the sleeve to perfectly match the frame. As you can see the picture below. I measured the distance between the the leaf spring hole on the driver and passenger rear side to compare. The hole where the leaf spring goes is about 1/3 of an inch closer to the back bumper on the driver side. Also, the back hole is not matching all the way. Is this a big deal? I’m not sure if this may bring consequences or not.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Often there's a quality difference in aftermarket parts.
I'd measure the other side from a known good point to the center of the shackle bolt. Then make the side you're working on match.
Support the frame on each side with equal height jackstands placed just ahead of the main spring eye bracket. You don't want to weld a section of frame unless the frame is sitting as level and square as possible. Make sure that where you're doing the work is level.
Eastwood and other suppliers like your local auto paint supplier should have spray material designed to help retard rust formation on the inside and outside of the frame.

It looks like you have your gas tank out and it also looks like you're ready for a tailpipe.
It's a lot easier to re-install the gas tank with the tailpipe out of the way.
While the tank is out, check the roll over valves and all the rubber tubing. I'd also check to see if the 20 gallon mod has been done.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: 9T4YJ

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Get your shackle mount where it SHOULD be and don't worry about where it was or where the other holes are...

Your frame could be distorted

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Thank you. This is a 20 gallon so the mod must have been done.
All plastic YJ gas tanks are 20 gallons. Some were limited to 15 gallons at the factory. At the time, Jeep charged extra to install a shorter tank vent to allow a full 20 gallons to enter the tank.
One clever Jeeper realized that by shortening the vent tube he could put 20 gallons of gas into what was originally a 15 gallon tank.
The only issue there was the sending unit would read full at 15 gallons. The cure for that is to install a 20 gallon sending unit.

If your tank will accept 20 gallons, it could have been an extra cost option or a PO has already done the mod.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts