Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Been working in my shop on the jeep almost all weekend. The last half of the weekend was unfortunately spent contemplating.... I've got some pretty nasty rust on the frame, drivers side, just behind the front shackle and right at the rear shackle of the rear leaf spring. Was thinking about grinding it all down and plating well over the bad spots. I know repairing rust that way can be sketchy and not a good long term fix. But I just need it to get my ride back in the road and get me by until I can scrape up the cash to find a replacement frame or a new one all together. Any opinions or suggestions?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The rear shackle area is a relatively easy fix.
Use this:https://www.autorust.com/product/wrangler-rear-shackle-mount-section-left-side-art-042-l/

The front shackle mount area is a whole other ball of wax. The steering box is mounted there. Instead of a sleeve that covers the bottom and sides of the frame rail it's a whole new chunk of frame so you have to to be precise with the cuts to the frame. The frame rails need to be supported with jacks/ratchet straps/temporary welded support bars so that when you cut the frame loose from the tubular crossmember the left and right rails stay parallel to each other. The welds have to be perfect, the alignment of the new frame piece has to be perfect, it's a lot of work. The piece you want for that area is this: https://www.autorust.com/product/wrangler-rear-shackle-mount-section-left-side-art-042-l/

I have personally used autorust caps as well as using my own shop made steel plate caps. For the money and time involved my opinion is that the autorust pieces are totally worth the cost.

If it was just a blank area on the frame that would be one thing. Properly designed plating may do the job.
In this case though, both the front and rear shackle areas on the jeep frame have brackets and/or threaded bungs/welded nuts that need to located exactly.
Maybe you are a rockstar fab guy but for me the autorust parts are where it's at for these repairs.

If you have bad rust in those two spots it's a good bet there are other compromised areas on the frame. Go over every inch with a flashlight and a small hammer. Inspect for small cracks, stick a finger in the larger holes and feel around for large rust flakes, and tap the walls of the rails listening for solid vs soft areas.

Welcome to my nightmare.

Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator
100,535 Posts
I moved your Thread to the TJ Tech.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts