Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I passed on a jeep from Ohio based on a patch job and this groups confirmation. I found a jeep that I'm far more confident in, 2004 with 150K miles.

I also followed the groups advice and had my brother in law put his finger through the holes in the frame to feel for flaking or rust on the inside - he claims he felt none. The jeep is overheating at the moment which gives me concern and it's being addressed for a possibly faulty thermostat. Assuming it's a simple fix, I could pick this up as early as Monday.

Any opinions on the frame based on what you see here, thanks in advance for any feedback, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Can't click on the pictures to make them bigger, but from what can be seen, the frame and underside of the tub looks pretty respectable.

·
Registered
604 Posts
it looks pretty good in the pictures, are you buying this sight unseen or will you be able to look at it for yourself in person before plunking down the cash? I'd certainly show up with the money for it but take a good long look first to confirm for yourself what your brother in law told you, check every inch of it on both sides. Look very close at the tc skid where it meets the lower frame rails, check the bolts, even pull them out if possible (bring a ratchet), if they come out that's a good sign, if they start spinning not so much, and of course check the areas above the control arm mounts and the frame ends at the rear crossmember. I'd bring an endoscope to so you can peer further into the frame that your finger can reach. There's a ton more to look at with any TJ but that's what I'd do at least as far as the frame is concerned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it looks pretty good in the pictures, are you buying this sight unseen or will you be able to look at it for yourself in person before plunking down the cash? I'd certainly show up with the money for it but take a good long look first to confirm for yourself what your brother in law told you, check every inch of it on both sides. Look very close at the tc skid where it meets the lower frame rails, check the bolts, even pull them out if possible (bring a ratchet), if they come out that's a good sign, if they start spinning not so much, and of course check the areas above the control arm mounts and the frame ends at the rear crossmember. I'd bring an endoscope to so you can peer further into the frame that your finger can reach. There's a ton more to look at with any TJ but that's what I'd do at least as far as the frame is concerned.
Sight unseen. I'd have to fly to it and deal with all that comes with that, frankly I'm going to take a shot and see what happens.

I like all your suggestions - if proximity wasn't an issue I'd take your advice up. Thank you for the guidance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know what that means?
body mounts secure the body (tub) to the frame, the TJ has 11 of them if I'm not mistaken, the easiest ones to see are right on the frame rails (under your doors). They can be trouble spots because they rot out much like the frame can, particularly in the rust belt which can lead to a pretty dangerous condition. The one we can see in your photo again looks good

This is what you want to see:

This, not so much:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts