Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after cutting my fender flares I noticed a bit of frame rot in front of my rear tire on the drivers side. Looks pretty bad. What should I do about this? Is this an easy repair? It runs about 6 inches along the bottom of the frame and about a half inch up each side

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So do I purchase this piece and take it to a frame shop or what? I have no welding experience at all

·
Registered
47 Posts
thats what I'm doing, I'm deployed right now but i bought the pair for the that rear section and I'm having them both replaced at a friends welding shop while I'm gone

·
Registered
688 Posts
Its very common, Over the last few weeks I have gone through my chassis completely as I had the same area go bad where the rear upper control arm mounts in to the frame. I took out the upper control arms, Cut out all the rot and rebuilt the whole sections with heavy duty brackets and all new 3/16. Also took the time and reinforced other known areas such as rear frame next to bumper, transfercase skid, and steering box area. Just in case, and I wanted to mess with the frame all at once rather then piece by piece or else It would be annoying. My frame is 2/3rd new steel haha! ( joking )

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That section is in bad shape, I hope you're not driving it that way. It didn't help that someone appeared to plug over one of the bolt access holes, potentially blocking air flow through the area. Thoroughly go over the rest of the frame to look for any further rot, keeping in mind that whatever you see, the inside is worse. They rot from the inside out in some sections, such as the low spot at the control arm bracket. Stick your finger in the holes and feel around for large flakes. Also, poke at the frame with a screwdriver to see what is lurking under the paint/surface rust. If it's limited to just one or two areas, autorust.com safe-T caps can work well for you. I have them on both sides. You also have to find a welder you can trust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have the same problem and ordered both lower control arm sections they are a very nice looking kit just waiting on the weather to break to install them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went around with a screwdriver and the rest of the frame seems plenty solid. I found a local guy I'm going to take it to on Monday so he can have a look at how bad it is. Hopefully I'll receive some good news. Luckily it's not my daily driver so I'll be able to leave it and have it repaired properly

·
Registered
688 Posts
you want more then just a screwdriver, few smacks with a hammer to test the strength :) those kits are awesome! Very nice

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you want more then just a screwdriver, few smacks with a hammer to test the strength :) those kits are awesome! Very nice
Thanks. Looks like I'll be taking a hammer to it monday. I gotta make sure I'm able to get it to the shop first haha. Thanks for all the replies and it looks like that autorust kit is the way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts