Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of doing a frame up rebuild of a '92 YJ.

Several of the skid plate blots broke off rather than coming out, and in some cases the skid plate holes were oversized enough to pass over the bolt head. The bolts that I did get out appear to have a taper below the head like an old VW wheel mounting bolt, or the taper typically seen on wheel lug nuts.

The frame surface where the bolts go in appears to stick out of the bottom surface of the frame almost like a pilot for the holes in the skid plate.

Should the frame surface be flat?

Should the skid plate holes be flared like a wheel rim such that the bolts seat against the taper rather than a flat surface?

I plan to cut/weld/fix the frame section for the skid plate mounts but I am not sure what the correct features are.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes and yes the frame had some shape and yes the bolts are like wheel lugs. The nuts are captive inside the frame so you are in toough shape. Best advice is to fabricate something that will keep it secure even if you bottom out. It caarries the weight of the trans and t-case so it has to be beefy. So go shopping find some grade 8 bolts and buld to fit. Unless you can find another stock skid but if you search the forum there are some threads on belly tuck where they fab their own.
Check this page out and post there and see what you get. It is just for fabrication and you could probably get some great advice and ideas there.
Fabrication Shop - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When did mine I cut out the captured nuts with a round hole saw. Then I took grade 8 nuts and welded them to some 3/16 plate squares and welded the whole thing to the frame. I then machined little bushings to mimic the factory plate bolts. I used 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts. I also beefed up the skid plate at the mounting holes with some washers. Its probably overkill but I did not want to do it again. There are pics in my build thread.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joker: I figured that I need to cut out the broken bolts and any bad weld nuts from the frame.

95Yam, can you describe the bushings in any more detail? I presume that they are actually projections from the frame that pilot the skit plate but that is more a guess than knowledge. If they are projections are they on all 6 bolt locations or a selected number of the locations?

I anticipate some serious fabrication to make this YJ as good or better than new. My goal is not to get it done fast but to get it done well.

Thanks for the feedback

1 - 5 of 5 Posts