Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum :wavey:. I have a '97 TJ in great shape, other than the frame. I live in VA and although we don't see as much salt as you guys up north, between the little that we get and the PO's lack of up keep, my frame is starting to rust. It isn't bad, and is really only in the holes at the rear control arm mounts. I could probably patch it, but I came upon a mint frame from an '03 on the cheap. Problem is it is a 4 cyl. frame and my heep is a 6 cyl. with an auto. Now I know the motor mounts are different, but what else is? I have heard things about the crossmember and belly pan are different. Is this true?? What kind of trouble am I looking at??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally, I would patch it, paint it with some good rust sealer, and call it a day. That's alot of work for that minor of a problem. And I consider myself a perfectionist lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
For sure, sand it down and POR 15 it and it should be fine. Don't go through the trouble of swapping a frame for that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just did a frame swap on my jeep this past summer and unless you have a decent garage with all the fixings I would just patch that, but make sure you paint it or deal with the rust. I patched mine but didnt deal with the rust and it didnt take long to crack it. Although salty VT roads may have played a part in that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that is what I will do. Anyone have any suggestions for something to spray down the frame rails to stop/prevent rust??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ive never heard of it but it seem cool. I was wondering myself how to go about rustproofing the inside of my frame. Not sure how many bottles you will need tho.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All I did for rust prevention on my new frame was rustoleum self etching primer with their 2yr rust prevention flat black rattle can.
Each spring I plan on going under and checking and touching up as needed. Total cost was about $30 in paiint and primer with about 4-6 layers

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ive never heard of it but it seem cool. I was wondering myself how to go about rustproofing the inside of my frame. Not sure how many bottles you will need tho.
judging by the product ad looks like 3-4 to be safe. still not bad. What I want to know is how to clean all the rust/dirt dust outta the frame rails first. Mine has a heavy accumulation of both. I stuck a pressure washer nozzle in and hosed it out best I could last time I went to the carwash, but the water never did run out clear, just less nasty. I want to do some maintenance on it, but want to make sure it's done right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts