Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an customer come in today, that had just bought a used pickup. He wanted a LOF, and general look over. I changed his oil, and looked it over, told him it was in pretty good shape for a 89 with 100K on it. Then he started asking about his battery. "Did ya check the water level in the battery there kid?", and I replied, No sir, it's a gel cell, they ain't got no water in em. He ask who makes that battery with no water? I said Optima, they have a pretty good track record. He ask if we sell an American name like Interstate. Said sure do, got a rack full of them, but there ain't a thing wrong with the one you got. He say's, " Put one of them American made Interstates in there, I want something I can count on". I installed it, he paid the bill, and left. We laughed the rest of the day about the guy in the Toyota, that wanted the American made quality. I got me a Optima Red in the Jeep now, made in Colorodo, I believe.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Chances are that there Toyota was made right here in the U.S. of A.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Yea, Iuno about some people who only buy american made stuff. It's odd, but noble in a way.

Guy I worked with was so devout about it he would almost knock you out if you tried to give him anything that wasent american made. Out the end of the job the company would usually give you a shirt and a hat. Well they are starting to get away from doing that because they are cheap S%##s. Well all of ours formans pooled together money to buy all our crews shirts. He wouldent take it because it said the thread came from another country but it was sewn in Mississippi.

Little bit of ignorance I would say. But to each their own.

~Lev

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I ride a Japanese motorcycle that built right here in the US. So that guy just gave away the best battery on the market to get an interstate battery? what a dumbass. oh well, he needs to get rid of that truck too... it might not be American enough for him.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Autos, I will always buy autos from the Big 3. I try to buy as much Made in the USA as much as I can. Not ignorance, just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It's every American's right to buy the best they can get with their hard earned American dollars. Thats why I buy Japanese cars. =P

Agreed. Thats why we also own a Jeep and not a Ford , Chevy, or Dodge. Every vehicle has it problems. Ford still can't wire a vehicle without a fire hazard, Chevy/GMC doesn't know quality front end parts if they were hit in the head with them, and Don't get me started on Dodge and their transmissions (1 ton Cummins excluded). The one vehicle people always seem to forget and is one the the best is Volkswagen.

Don't get us wrong, we are both loyal Americans we just like driving our junk instead of having it in the shop or in our driveway with my legs hanging out from under it.

I'm Just glad that Chrysler didn't mess up the Jeep to bad. Wish AMC was still in charge though.

Just My 02 cents

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Looks like I just stepped in another pile. I'm off to my cave to hide again. Although a Bug on a Jeep frame and drive line might be cool.:D

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Something like this. If you wan't a convertible I have a saws-all in the Garage.:D

Seriously dear, your car is alot better quality then the beetles. Besides I had my heart set on modifying a CJ-7 /YJ/TJ (which ever is decided on) for ya...:D

Just to clarify this is to OC and not JJ:rofl:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Not that I have any say but Id go with an old CJ-7. They look awesome when there done up right.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The one vehicle people always seem to forget and is one the the best is Volkswagen.
You've GOT to be kidding. You think FORD has electrical issues, just look at issues VW has had with electrical over the last 10 years. Don't forget their other company - Audi. Look at THEIR electrical issues over the last 10 years and tell me FORD can't do it right!

That said, my daughter drives a 2007 Jetta GLI and loves it. One issue with paint on the lower chin spoiler flaking off (covered under warranty) and it has been golden to this point (5 months).

I hope that trend is an indicator for VW/Audi. My wife's car has had electrical nightmares since we got it. Her first one was totalled in a car wreck that she walked from, so yeah, German engineering is pretty darn good, they just have wiring issues.

My other car is German too and I've only had minor nits. Service/maintenance is covered to 100k though too, so I don't have to worry about that. :)

Funny thing though, MANY of the 'foreign' cars are actually made here and their US content is probably as high, if not higher, than the Big 3 makers. IF I were to consider any of the big 3, it'd have to be:

GM - full size pickup/Avalanche or Corvette
Ford - full size pickup or GT
Dodge - full size pickup or Viper

See a pattern? :) hehe

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You've GOT to be kidding. You think FORD has electrical issues, just look at issues VW has had with electrical over the last 10 years. Don't forget their other company - Audi. Look at THEIR electrical issues over the last 10 years and tell me FORD can't do it right!
I guess I have seen many more Fords burn to the ground because of electrical issues then Other Makes. While I worked as a Tech I personally had to rewire at least 15 to 20 Fords (various models), because of electrical failures and/or electrical fires. Thats not counting the minor stuff that just fried sensors or blew fuses. Just my own personal experience in the past and Maybe Ford just hated me. VW has also had electrical problems through its history but if you truely want to see an electrical nightmare take a look at any older British car.:rofl: No insult intended this is all my opinion based on previous experience.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That said, my daughter drives a 2007 Jetta GLI and loves it. One issue with paint on the lower chin spoiler flaking off (covered under warranty) and it has been golden to this point (5 months).
tell her she needs to stop going over those speed bumps and turning into parking lots at mach speed:rofl: :doh:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There is no such thing as suporting american economy or japanese economy. There is just one economy and that is global. Most american labor in a car---Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. wanna buy a dodge??? they are all mad in mexico along with half of fords products.. Buy a Saab and GM gets as much money as when you buy a chevy. And dont forget that every time you buy a japanese car you are supporting american steel companies who send them there materials.

My Dad worked 30 years in a Labor Union at G.E. So we have this debate all the time. If america wants support from americans, we have to get back to making products better than Japan, and we have to start the support at the bottom and go up... I am talking about supporting our dying agriculture service, then mibers, then worry about guys working in air conditioned factories at $30/hr.

I am done ranting

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
complete dodge lover here. can't wait to get another but this time i'm gonna get the cummins diesel. congrats on the free optima.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
OK...now you had to bring up politics.

Spend it where you make it I say. Re-invest in the country you live in. I don't own and will never own another foreign made vehicle.

Some foreign countries have their manufacturing operations here and they employ Americans but the check still goes to overseas banks and floats their economy.

If we are not careful we just may wind up tossing this economy / nation into the toilet to foreign countries and that will be the biggest crime. Just take a look at the oil situation, we are literally hostages to this global mindset and that is truly BS.

Everytime you buy a foreign product you sell out the U.S. economy and some Americans workers with it.....PERIOD!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts