Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We dont do a lot of off roading here in Arizona, but we do enjoy going off road when we can. Were leaving for Colorado next week and probably going to see some of the most trying trails we have been on yet. Black Bear?

I came up with this bracket to mount to the frame to hold the axle end of the sway bar when it is disconnected. You might recognize that it is the rear sway bar end links now on the front. I have a bracket on both sides. The bar and end links should be safely out of the way and allow much better axle movement on the trail.

Anyone see a downside to doing this?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Not while you are wheeling. Many of us do exactly that. Before I installed the Anti Rock, I would use spider balls to tie my disconnect to the sway bar.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a great idea and I might just steal it for myself. I'm using the universal solution presently.....bunji cords around the frame rail, link and bar.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
The only downside is you need to undo the sway bar bolt, as well as make sure to properly torque it when putting it back.
That might get old. Having a quick release for the link makes it easier.

·
Registered
765 Posts
We dont do a lot of off roading here in Arizona, but we do enjoy going off road when we can. Were leaving for Colorado next week and probably going to see some of the most trying trails we have been on yet. Black Bear?

I came up with this bracket to mount to the frame to hold the axle end of the sway bar when it is disconnected. You might recognize that it is the rear sway bar end links now on the front. I have a bracket on both sides. The bar and end links should be safely out of the way and allow much better axle movement on the trail.

Anyone see a downside to doing this?

Nice idea! JKS give you a set of 'pins' that you have to drill and tap into the frame to mount. I'd much rather a bolt-on bracket to mount them to. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice! Have a link for the spring loaded pins? I guess I could just go 2 towns down and take yours! :) Do they rattle at all?
I went to Lowes and just picked the right size. I drilled the holes so it would be really tight. It does not rattle enough to notice. I'm sure it's not as tight as the bolts.

I've seen Jesus pins used and that would be easier to get in/out. I do have to finagle the bolts a bit to get the hoops of those pins to clear.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Not while you are wheeling. Many of us do exactly that. Before I installed the Anti Rock, I would use spider balls to tie my disconnect to the sway bar.

What are spider balls?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Spiderwebshade calls them that. :)

I use them for my Steinjager QC's too.

And if your spider balls grow old and worn, you can buy replacements. :lmao:
That's a lot better than what I found when I Googled it. These are just bungee balls renamed.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now this is the kind of stuff i log onto and hope i find every day. Not some debate over which after market part is the best. A good ol fashioned home made answer built by a great idea from a great jeep owner. Full follow through with just a simple something that doesn't have to cost $120. Just gets the job done. Bravo to you man enjoy your trip to Arizona!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts