Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 and just swapped back to the hard top for winter. I am now noticing an unusual wind noise at speed from the driver-side freedom panel near the windshield channel and door. This noise was not there when I had the hard top on when new and I swapped it once in July for a road trip as well, so something has changed in the fit. Passenger side still seems normal.

I suspect that running the soft top all summer created some difference in the compression of the header channel rubber strip. Also, the driver-side windshield clamp on the soft top was VERY hard to clamp down with the soft-top, so it could have even bent the footman loop up a little bit. The driver-side windshield freedom panel clamp for the hard top is making contact but is really easy to close.

So I am going to find something to lube the windshield channel rubber with. I have also seen a thread on someone wrapping some rubber or other things around the footman loop to increase the bite. If I get desperate I will add some weatherstripping to the Freedom Panel, but I have not even had the Jeep for a year so trying to keep this hard top thing stock. No hard rains yet so I would like to make this sound go away before I find out if water comes in too. Anyone got a fix I did not consider yet? Thanks...

·
Registered
995 Posts
first time I put my freedom tops back on, I got a whistle. Popped 'em back off & they were not aligned perfectly & there was some dirt from a few offroad trips. Cleaned off the rubber insulation, lined it up a bit better & the sound went away. No contact with the clamp.

Check the panel alignment. Might be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I chalked it up as just the switch between the tops. Its hard to remember if the hard top ever made that noise after not hearing the noise for months while I used the sift top. If you don't have any leaks, I would give it a couple of days and you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
first time I put my freedom tops back on, I got a whistle. Popped 'em back off & they were not aligned perfectly & there was some dirt from a few offroad trips. Cleaned off the rubber insulation, lined it up a bit better & the sound went away. No contact with the clamp.

Check the panel alignment. Might be an easy fix.
x2

When I put the panels back on, I always swing the plastic handles back into place first. After those are in, then I push the front pillar metal handle back into place. That seems to solve any seal problems.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Just put a hardtop onto a Jeep that came with soft top only. Have excessive wind noise near both corners where the top of the windshield and panels meet the doors. Has anybody successfully added more weatherstripping?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts