Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I just picked up my new JKUWW yesterday. Woo! Love this thing. So much fun to drive and unlike any other vehicle I've ever owned.
...However, after a night out riding around last night with the freedom panels out, it randomly started making this popping or crackling noise. I slowed down and it stopped. It only does it when you hit 45mph or higher and it sounds like the noise is right at the sound bar where the dome light is. I looked and can't find anything.

I'm wondering there's not some kind of piece of plastic bit that was loose from factory that's inside rolling around when the wind hits it at those speeds. Obviously the faster you go, the more chaotic the sound gets.

Any idea? If I get a chance I'll try to record a video and upload this afternoon

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Doing so SAFELY.... Maybe if you could have a co-pilot listen and locate the sound while you drive. OR you listen/locate while someone else drives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 15 model year sport and noticed the same issue last summer. First time taking the panels off and I heard the popping noise you describe in the same location. Popping happens around 55 or 60 for me. Nothing fixes the problem except for slowing down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've also heard this noise on my 16 black bear and I just assumed it was the Velcro on the padded wrapping around the roll bar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2016 Hard Rock does this too.

Lowering the rear windows seems to make it stop as well.

All of my hard top hardware is tight.

I tried lubricating the rubber bumpers at the front of the hard top thinking they weren't letting everything flex and causing the noise. No help.

I even went so far as to make plates with nuts that simulated the freedom panels so I could run the 2 screws up and hold down the front of the hard top. No improvement.

I'm at a loss. I fricken LOVE having the panels off, but the noise is horrendous sounding.

ac

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not sure if you're talking about while the panels are out or back in. Anyways, I had mine off for the first time since last October or November a few days ago. It was popping and cracking all over the place. Went away eventually. No idea what it was. They're back on now and it's quiet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone figure this out?

Same issue as the OP, I'm at a loss as to what is causing the cracklen' / popping noise. Climbed all over trying to figure it out while wife drove, loosened and re-tightened sound bar, tried covering holes with tape, etc, anything over 45mph it's horrendous.
Almost sounds like speaker wire is loose causing the speakers to crack, except noise seems to be coming from the center.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same noise here. Messed with it a little today. Removed soundbar and drove, no noise. Reinstalled soundbar and made sure everything was tight, sure enough noise was still there. I'll mess with it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I feel like the noise is wind related. I've read guys claim filling the gap between the roof and the sound bar with a piece of pipe insulation made it stop.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have experienced the same issue with my front panels off on my 2dr. I think the sound is coming from the rear hard top vibrating against the sound bar. Since you can't put the two twist bolts back on, there is a small gap in between, creating the noise at higher speeds. I wish there was a way to tighten the rear top onto the soundbar somehow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the same issue with my 16 JKWW when the panels are off, I have tightened bolts and loosened bolts on the sound bar with no luck. However, my wife's 15 JKU is quiet as can be with the panels off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have experienced the same issue with my front panels off on my 2dr. I think the sound is coming from the rear hard top vibrating against the sound bar. Since you can't put the two twist bolts back on, there is a small gap in between, creating the noise at higher speeds. I wish there was a way to tighten the rear top onto the soundbar somehow.
I made clips to be able to install the hand screws without the panels. Noise was still there.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have a 2012 Sahara, new to me with the duel top and will be removing the freedom panels soon. Again has anyone gone to the dealer about this? Would like to know what they have to say.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't gone to the dealer for this concern, but I'm pretty sure I just fixed the noise. I removed the soundbar and insulated between the roll bar and soundbar. Test drove it about 10 miles with no noise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had this issue last summer. IIRC, it was a rubber pad on the crossbar that the speakers attach to. I put a small strip of duct tape on the surface and that fixed it. I think the sound is the top sticking and unsticking from this pad. You do need to remove, or at least unfasten the hardtop to solve this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had this issue last summer. IIRC, it was a rubber pad on the crossbar that the speakers attach to. I put a small strip of duct tape on the surface and that fixed it. I think the sound is the top sticking and unsticking from this pad. You do need to remove, or at least unfasten the hardtop to solve this.
Do you have a picture of what you are referring to?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts