Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to head out on the highway and didn't want to put the jeep all back together. So my question is can I just run the freedom channels by themselves with the doors off and the top off?
Of course I've had them off with the hardtop on but I was just wondering if you could do the reverse of that it doesn't seem like it should affect anything.
Eads

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I was going to head out on the highway and didn't want to put the jeep all back together. So my question is can I just run the freedom channels by themselves with the doors off and the top off?
Of course I've had them off with the hardtop on but I was just wondering if you could do the reverse of that it doesn't seem like it should affect anything.
Eads
Yes. Flip the little "foot" down and use the spinners (screws).

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Yes, you can run the Freedom panels without the rest of the top, or even without the doors.
There is a little black tab on the back side of each panel, right near where the giant thumb screw attaches. Flip that tab down to install the Freedom panels without the rest of the hard top. Then use the giant thumb screws to secure the Freedom panels.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ...Thanks for the help. I've never really noticed one driving a round like that, but I want to be able to have the convertible aspect and then take them off when I get to my destination.
I didnt think about the JL until you stated it.
Eads

·
Registered
167 Posts
Been trying out golf cart mode for the last few days. It keeps the sun off you and reduces the amount of wind buffeting at highway speeds, which are both welcome. Only downside was in the mornings I would find a lot of condensation on the underside of the panels, which would then drip on the seats etc.

If I wanted to do a lot of highway driving with the top off, I'd be looking at Clearlidz and JeeTops (they're tinted to cut down on sun glare)... heck, I kinda want a moonroof when the weather is wet and the top is on, too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, you can run the Freedom panels without the rest of the top, or even without the doors.
There is a little black tab on the back side of each panel, right near where the giant thumb screw attaches. Flip that tab down to install the Freedom panels without the rest of the hard top. Then use the giant thumb screws to secure the Freedom panels.

Always wondered what those tabs were for - thanks! Knowing is half the battle...the other half...(anyone?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Months later .... I will say, I had my HT off and attempted to put the FT's on my JL - I think things have changed from my JK.
I was in a hurry and bagged the effort but... with the JK it was as easy as flipping the feet down and using the spinners (if you can remember where you stashed them) drive away.
I am not sure about the JL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts