Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to align the hard top for a 2010 JKU with the Freedom top? Its about 1/4" off and leaking on the center by the mirror.

This is a new jeep to us and I'm not sure if the top can be aligned, or something with the jeep is out of alignment - it did show a collision on the carfax, but that was 70,000 miles ago.

I have already tried removing the hard top to recenter it but everything re-aligns the same way. It almost looks like the whole hard top is off center if you look at the holes where the knobs screw through the sound bar.

Ultimately, I would like to fix the leak and may just go in there with weather strip, but from a cosmetic standpoint, I would like to correct the alignment if possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I had a similar issue. What fixed it was making sure no latches were latched, push up on the panels and let them fall into place. Once I did this they aligned properly. I have to do this about every other time I reinstall the panels. For me the key is not latching any thing until they line up. Yours may be different. I have a 2014 JKU.

·
Registered
83 Posts
IIRC there has been minor changes between years that might be why you are having issues. Something about the pin on the sides and the side latches that allow you to only run one freedom panel. Can you post a pic of the freedom panels laying upside down?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pictures. Is it possible the windshield frame is out of alignment or something else that would cause this?

Ps ignore all the extra weather strip on the front of the freedom top panels. I just added it to see it it would seal my leak over the mirror. The alignment was off before I added it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
just to be clear tho:

the rear hard top, all 6 side rail bolts line up?

the top 2, that are under the freedom panels, also line up just fine?

·
Super Moderator
15,353 Posts
This is a weird one.

If it were mine I'd put the rear bolts in (do you have those?) then try to latch the front. If it's way off there may be a problem with your windshield alignment.

FWIW IMO the top looks fine in your pics.

Pic of freedom panel bolt
temp1.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a set of those on order. It did not come with them when I bought it.

The piece that seems to be throwing off the alignment is this portion of the rear hard top (see image with arrow). It almost feels like the whole thing is out of square, but the rear hard top lines up properly. with all the bolt holes. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts

The piece that seems to be throwing off the alignment is this portion of the rear hard top (see image with arrow). It almost feels like the whole thing is out of square, but the rear hard top lines up properly. with all the bolt holes. I'm scratching my head on this one.
That bump seems peculiar. I do not believe I have it on my 2017. I know that they changed the hardtop panels a bit in 2010 so perhaps the hardtop and freedom panels are from different years?

·
Super Moderator
15,353 Posts

To me that suggests the misalignment is happen forward of that point, making the panel rub there.

The vehicle wasn't wrecked before?

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
Those weird giant thumb screws for the freedom panels are not required, but having them may give you an idea about where the mis-alignment is. They should line up with the attachment points on the freedom panels. I would not try to fix anything by tightening those down hard, if you use them they should be merely lightly tight. Many Jeeps don't use those things.
There is a notch in the freedom panel that lines up with that bump in the rear hard top section, the one you pointed out. Those two things, the bump and the notch, should line up. Also, there are two pins, one on each freedom panel, that go into holes in the roll bars. Those should easily line up and fall into place. None of this should require force.
Sometimes it is just a matter of what order you tighten down the panels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To me that suggests the misalignment is happen forward of that point, making the panel rub there.

The vehicle wasn't wrecked before?
The vehicle showed a collision on its carfax. That is sort of why I was asking about alignment issues. That was 70,000 miles ago though and the vehicle drives and tracks straight. The rear of the hardtop lines also align with the body lines on the jeep, which makes me think the body is square. The door jam spacing is also even on both sides, so nothing is really out of square other than the freedom top.

Is there an adjustment piece to the rollbars and the window frame to where I could try and squeeze a bit more alignment out of it?

The hardtop was not original to this jeep, and the weatherstrip fixed my leak, so it is mostly a cosmetic issue, but its really going to bug me if I can't improve it slightly simply because it is so far off and I worry about leaks long term.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those weird giant thumb screws for the freedom panels are not required, but having them may give you an idea about where the mis-alignment is. They should line up with the attachment points on the freedom panels. I would not try to fix anything by tightening those down hard, if you use them they should be merely lightly tight. Many Jeeps don't use those things.
There is a notch in the freedom panel that lines up with that bump in the rear hard top section, the one you pointed out. Those two things, the bump and the notch, should line up. Also, there are two pins, one on each freedom panel, that go into holes in the roll bars. Those should easily line up and fall into place. None of this should require force.
Sometimes it is just a matter of what order you tighten down the panels.
I have tried every order possible. It always ends up the same due to those nubs on the hard top the arrow is pointing to (in the prior pics). if those weren't there, I am pretty sure it would align properly. They weren't in different spots on different tops, were they?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The tub on Wranglers is fairly easy to bend, I would start by measuring each side from the top of the windshield frame to the hard top to make sure it's the same distance. Then measure from the top door hinge to the rear corner of the body on each side. That will quickly tell you if the tub or windshield frame are bent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The vehicle showed a collision on its carfax. That is sort of why I was asking about alignment issues. That was 70,000 miles ago though and the vehicle drives and tracks straight. The rear of the hardtop lines also align with the body lines on the jeep, which makes me think the body is square. The door jam spacing is also even on both sides, so nothing is really out of square other than the freedom top.

The hardtop was not original to this jeep, and the weatherstrip fixed my leak, so it is mostly a cosmetic issue, but its really going to bug me if I can't improve it slightly simply because it is so far off and I worry about leaks long term.
Where did you get the top and freedom panels from if they did not come with the Jeep? Perhaps they are the wrong panels or top or mismatched and that is the issue.

·
Registered
788 Posts
In addition to measuring (MD2016) how do your door margins look at the windshield frame. Measurements of the locating pin holes in the roll bar to fixed points on the windshield frame may give you a clue as to if a spacer was installed to properly align the windshield after the accident causing the locator pin holes to be out of alignment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts