Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 2-door Wrangler with a hard freedom top. Has anyone come up with a desirable roof rack option for carrying kayaks? If so, are you able to remove your roof top with rack intact? I'm looking for suggestions before committing to drilling! Photos would be helpful too. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use the Thule gutter foot system withe the Malone J-loader racks that hold the yak upright., it's no drilling at all. The Thule system tightens down onto the drip edge of the freedom top and secures that way. You can't take the freedom top off and still use the drip edge method of securing racks, it just won't work because the drip edge is part of the hard top not the door or frame of the Jeep.

You may want to look into the gobi racks that mount around the outside of the Jeep and are just above the hardtop. Personally I'm not a fan of the look and they are usually pretty expensive.

You may be able to get away with taking the T-tops out of the freedom top, that will leave the back portion of the hardtop and still allow for a "gutter" drip edge style rack to run across but depending on the length of the kayak that my not be a ideal purchase point of securing.

Heres mine

20150312_175132.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts