Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread to get input from folks who have the Freedom Top (the three piece hard top). I have not had my new JK out in the rain yet. Have you found that your top leaks, or not?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I figured there were many other threads but threw it out there anyway.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Somebody made a great point

They said-

"not as many people have leaking issues as you may think, people are more so to post their problems (leaks) in a thread then not having the problem (leaks)"

Imagine how many threads there would be if they posted "hey -- my freedom panels don't leak..... Yay
Would far out way the leak threads IMO

Waiting for some sone idiot to post the :deadhorse: icon---- oops- I did :)

Lol .... Just kidding

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree kjeeper, the seals on my top panels look tight, and most likely the majority of JK tops are watertight. If it rains tomorrow and it leaks, I'll be sure to post it here!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
PAVarminter said:
I agree kjeeper, the seals on my top panels look tight, and most likely the majority of JK tops are watertight. If it rains tomorrow and it leaks, I'll be sure to post it here!
Not sure on the newer models, there is a pocket seal on the corners of mine. If that gets folded over-it will leak :)
See a lot of that happening :doh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had my 2010 JKU Sport for almost ten months. No leaks. I've had the panels off and on a bunch of times. I haven't had the hold down screws in for months. That reminds me, I should look for those. No leaks at all.

·
Registered
848 Posts
This concerns me as well. I am looking at buying a '12 with hard top and the panels will be off and on at least once a day if weather permits. If these things can't take a literal beating then there will be issues. I assume this is all warranty work if there are leaks?

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I bought my 2011 I had the hardtop on for two weeks. I found the screws kept working loose as I drove. It never rained but I wrapped the threads in Teflon plumbers tape. It held great.
I'm soft top now, until winter, but Teflon tape works wonders for screws that come loose.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to hear it Rufus -

I want to see a bunch of posts like this. NO leaks!

2 car washes, no leaks so far.

I do notice that the door weatherstripping is so prominent that you must REALLY slam the door to shut it.

I would imagine that as it compresses a bit it may get a bit easier.

Then leak?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I've had my 2010 JKU Sport for almost ten months. No leaks. I've had the panels off and on a bunch of times. I haven't had the hold down screws in for months. That reminds me, I should look for those. No leaks at all.
wait...are you telling me i don't need to put those PITA screws in every time?!?!

had my '12 for about 2 weeks now...no leaks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This concerns me as well. I am looking at buying a '12 with hard top and the panels will be off and on at least once a day if weather permits. If these things can't take a literal beating then there will be issues. I assume this is all warranty work if there are leaks?
They should hold up well, but just keep in mind the more you use them the more they will show wear and may over time not seal as well. Leaks are kind of par for the course with Wranglers - I've had four Wranglers since 1996 and they have ALL leaked - in all of them after a hard rain (but not after a creek crossing, interestingly) I would find damp carpeting on the passenger side floor (front). And I would argue most ragtops leak, because they are zippered and velcroed together pieces of fabric. It will really depend on your dealership whether they will go the "all Jeeps leak" route or actually try to fix the leak. Depends on the location and severity of the leak, I would guess. But I've never taken a leak issue back to the dealer, so I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 car washes, no leaks so far.

I do notice that the door weatherstripping is so prominent that you must REALLY slam the door to shut it.

I would imagine that as it compresses a bit it may get a bit easier.

Then leak?
My new JK came with a nice little slip of paper explaining that the door need slammed a little harder than other vehicles, because of the seal running around the door itself - to seal it, you have to slam it. The seal is around the door itself so that when you remove the doors, there is no seal running aroung the door frame that can be damaged going in and out of the vehicle. Also, the door needs slammed because they are such light doors, relatively.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My '07 has never leaked. Front panels are on and off frequently as well as the rear portion and no problems. And yes, I very seldom reinstall those PITA screws!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
First time owning a factory soft top, had it installed Saturday, as said before-I of yet had the freedom top- leak. The guy that sold me the factory soft top said he actually prefers it over the hard "quieter and never had a leak" I took his word. It rained hard last night and the inside was dry as a bone.
My Tj softy leaked all over the dam place, I was really shocked to see how the new OEM soft top is made so well. I will never go back to aftermarket :)

Explained well above, kinda part of owning a jeep. I expect some leaking at some point as the top ages :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts