Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago about trying to get a JK 4door. I went to the dealer last night to get one, but was very let down by the amount they offered on my trade-in. I know they don't go by KBB, but they were several thousand off the KBB value, so that surprised me. Anyways, I was thinking of ways to lower the purcahse price of the Jeep, and one idea I had was to get the soft top (all the ones there soft tops or dual-tops, no hard tops) and then pick up a freedom top (or similar aftermarket top) before next winter. Does anyone know what a freedom top would go for, or could you point me to a similar aftermarket top? I've been to a few sites already and they are asking for $3,600 for a hard top, which certainly isn't saving me any money! :eek:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They were having trouble with the hard tops cracking, they stopped producing them for a bit. But I heard they just started again, so hopefully they fixed it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey guys,

I posted a while ago about trying to get a JK 4door. I went to the dealer last night to get one, but was very let down by the amount they offered on my trade-in. I know they don't go by KBB, but they were several thousand off the KBB value, so that surprised me. Anyways, I was thinking of ways to lower the purcahse price of the Jeep, and one idea I had was to get the soft top (all the ones there soft tops or dual-tops, no hard tops) and then pick up a freedom top (or similar aftermarket top) before next winter. Does anyone know what a freedom top would go for, or could you point me to a similar aftermarket top? I've been to a few sites already and they are asking for $3,600 for a hard top, which certainly isn't saving me any money! :eek:
if you go to carmax and get a free quote they will give you pretty close to blue book value. i was originally quoted for $1000 for my trade with the dealer. carmax quoted me $1875. using the carmax quote i was able to get $2500 from the dealer. i could have received more if i had sold the vehicle myself, but i am lazy. i would not think that you would be able to purchase an aftermarket hard top and install it for less than $695.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you go to carmax and get a free quote they will give you pretty close to blue book value. i was originally quoted for $1000 for my trade with the dealer. carmax quoted me $1875. using the carmax quote i was able to get $2500 from the dealer. i could have received more if i had sold the vehicle myself, but i am lazy. i would not think that you would be able to purchase an aftermarket hard top and install it for less than $695.

thanks mike. i think i'm just going to order it. all the X's that i see with the freedom top come fully loaded (dual tops, serius radio, 6 disc changer...) so i think i can knock almost 1500 off the price by just getting what i want... once i order it, i will try to sell my mustang in the 4 week (at least thats what the dealer said) window i have. if not, ill just take the trade in.

ill look into carmax as well, thanks!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are going to get a hard top you should order with the new purchase. That way you will get the electric and water connections and wiring for the rear window. If you go after market for the hard top these hookups won't be on the jeep and you will have to order and install them separately.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It is more than just the cost of the hard top if you do it after the fact. You need to get the plumbing for the washer plus replace the stick on the console. Cheapest way is to get a hard top with the jeep from the factory.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are going to get a hard top you should order with the new purchase. That way you will get the electric and water connections and wiring for the rear window. If you go after market for the hard top these hookups won't be on the jeep and you will have to order and install them separately.
Thread is over 7 years old

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts