Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--took the tops off for the first time this week--low 70's, perfect cruising weather.

No issues taking the Freedom tops off, but, had serious issues trying to use the OEM storage bag. Had a helluva time getting just one side in the bag, and it never felt like it was going in the right way--didn't even try the passenger side--ended up just using the bag as padding between the tops while they were in back. Bag seems to be fitted, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how the top would have to be oriented to fit in the bag--nor how one person is supposed to manage it.

Seriously, is it a two-person job or am I just extremely uncoordinated and lack problem solving skills?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Hi All--took the tops off for the first time this week--low 70's, perfect cruising weather.

No issues taking the Freedom tops off, but, had serious issues trying to use the OEM storage bag. Had a helluva time getting just one side in the bag, and it never felt like it was going in the right way--didn't even try the passenger side--ended up just using the bag as padding between the tops while they were in back. Bag seems to be fitted, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how the top would have to be oriented to fit in the bag--nor how one person is supposed to manage it.

Seriously, is it a two-person job or am I just extremely uncoordinated and lack problem solving skills?
It takes a little getting used to and yes they must "orient" a certain way and the front clasp (that engages the windshield) must be closed and they go in white to white (with the cloth divider in between).
You'll never get to the point where your going to do it while drinking a beer but one-man? Yes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Agree, practice and orientation are key. You can get it down to less than a minute of time without a beer in hand. I could have sworn i got mine in black to black (exterior sides facing each other.) Its warming up in the next couple days and I'll take mine back off and report back.

It takes a little getting used to and yes they must "orient" a certain way and the front clasp (that engages the windshield) must be closed and they go in white to white (with the cloth divider in between).
You'll never get to the point where your going to do it while drinking a beer but one-man? Yes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Pro tip: Do it in the cargo area with the bag laying flat. work wonders.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like others said after you do it a few times it's not a big deal.

I lay it on the ground when putting first one in. Then stand it up when putting the second in.

Biggest thing is the front latch wants to catch on the divider in the bag. Once you remember to make sure it doesn't hang up they go in easy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Felt like an absolute moron struggling with something that, ( I thought) should be a simple task!

LOL have had T-Tops in the past, so I've got some experience sliding tops into bags--ya, I know I just showed my age... :rip:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree, practice and orientation are key. You can get it down to less than a minute of time without a beer in hand. I could have sworn i got mine in black to black (exterior sides facing each other.) Its warming up in the next couple days and I'll take mine back off and report back.
Pro tip: Do it in the cargo area with the bag laying flat. work wonders.
Like others said after you do it a few times it's not a big deal.

I lay it on the ground when putting first one in. Then stand it up when putting the second in.

Biggest thing is the front latch wants to catch on the divider in the bag. Once you remember to make sure it doesn't hang up they go in easy.

Ok--Moron of the Millennium (Me), read all this, made sense, SO... thought it'd be no big deal getting it done today. WRONG.

First attempt was made, based on shape of pouch, with white side facing interior divider, and 'grab handle' side going in last. Top only goes in so far before shape of pouch causes it to hang.

So, ok, next attempt is with panels sliding in with grab handle on side--sticks out too far--can't see how pouch would ever zipper.

I'm usually the guy in the room that can figure these kinds of things out--but this one is kicking my ass.

Anyone got a "Freedom Top Storage for Dummies"?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The inside faces out when in the bag if that helps.

Lay the bag flat on the grass, slide one in, flip it over slide the other in. There should be fabric between the two and the outsides should be facing each other in the bag.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
When they are in correctly the bag tops rest up against the back seat and you use the strap around the headrests to secure standing up against the rear seat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh... Found a YouTube video on removing the tops where he also used the bag. Seems that, against my conventional wisdom, the side with the "grab indent" slides into the bag FIRST.

I'd never have thunk it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The inside faces out when in the bag if that helps.

Lay the bag flat on the grass, slide one in, flip it over slide the other in. There should be fabric between the two and the outsides should be facing each other in the bag.
GOT IT! It's all coming together now. In my mind at least. I shall test my new found knowledge tomorrow! (when wife isn't looking):whacky:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I switched tops today. Mine are packed. Black sides face out so bag is smooth. Windshield clasp must be closed. Grab handles go in first. Here is a picture...
black sides face in so they don't get damaged. Atleast that's how I pack mine as they are painted.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yea that bag is just about useless for actually holding the tops. i can get them in there i just dont really see the point. i generally use it as you described, as a buffer/padding between the two tops when i leave them in the back of the jeep. otherwise i just leave them in the garage at home if i am positive the weather is going to cooperate.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
yea that bag is just about useless for actually holding the tops. i can get them in there i just dont really see the point. i generally use it as you described, as a buffer/padding between the two tops when i leave them in the back of the jeep. otherwise i just leave them in the garage at home if i am positive the weather is going to cooperate.
Having painted tops and unpredictable weather sometimes I find the bags to be actually very useful. Not only do they protect them they also keep the secured against the back seat also adding in protecting them and keeping them out of the way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having painted tops and unpredictable weather sometimes I find the bags to be actually very useful. Not only do they protect them they also keep the secured against the back seat also adding in protecting them and keeping them out of the way.
Well, I successfully navigated the tops in the bags--why they're designed to go 'grab handle, aka outer edge' in first, I have no clue. Totally opposite t-top sleeves I've used in the past. Have to totally agree with most that unless the tops will be off and stored for a while, the bag's usefulness is suspect.

Shame--one or two tweaks and it would have been SO much easier!

Still made the best of it and cruised the beach most of day yesterday--LOT of fog but had a brief window of sun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I'm jealous (You will receive no more help from me Sir) :)

Nice rig/Nice view ......

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
black sides face in so they don't get damaged. Atleast that's how I pack mine as they are painted.
Correct way is "white" sides towards each other, clasps closed and the bag contour equals the tops contour.
That creates a "sandwich" that secures vertically to the rear seat back with the nylon belt around the headrest bases.
Stands to reason that the sides of the freedom tops designed to withstand the elements continue to be the "defense" side when stowed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts