Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just when upgrading to a freedom top (hardtop) I was notified that I also to purchase this $260 piece of equipment called a Hardtop Wiring Kit that basically adds functions ability for the rear wiper and rear defroster upon installation after hardtop. I know nothing about wiring or installation for a kit like this...probably the reason I never became an electrician, so can someone enlighten me to the difficulty in this procedure or at the very least the labor cost on the someone installing this along with a hardtop? Any help is always appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11190_0057_07.htm

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
There are a few different kits, depending on what other options you already have on your JK. For example, the one you link is for JK's "without Heated Mirrors".

The reason is that if you have heated mirrors, then you have the rear defroster switch already.

Quadratec offers downloadable copies of many installation manuals. I would suggest you download the one for the hardtop wiring kit, and see if you feel you have the skills required for each step (there are a LOT of them).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few different kits, depending on what other options you already have on your JK. For example, the one you link is for JK's "without Heated Mirrors".

The reason is that if you have heated mirrors, then you have the rear defroster switch already.

Quadratec offers downloadable copies of many installation manuals. I would suggest you download the one for the hardtop wiring kit, and see if you feel you have the skills required for each step (there are a LOT of them).

I’m I’m just a basic ‘13 JK Sport no heated seats or any other luxuries. I’ve skimmed over the manual and frankly I don’t think it’s something I want to touch...especially since I don’t have an indoor garage to things I want to do when the mercury goes below a certain temperature.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The more important question is are either of the functions needed in your locale? If you don’t need the rear defroster (some have commented on how their connections have come loose) or the small space that the wiper covers then you may not even want to mess with the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
You can add the hardtop without the wire harness. Drive it around for a while and see if you need the rear wiper or defroster.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I think this also requires a dealer ecu update.
This is correct.
The dealer must flash the vehicle to get the wiper and defroster working.(unless J-Scan can do it).
When I bought my hardtop, I didn't bother wiring and plumbing it up.
Can't see out the window with a 35 back there anyway, and it's only on there for 3 months(or less).

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
So I'm just when upgrading to a freedom top (hardtop) I was notified that I also to purchase this $260 piece of equipment called a Hardtop Wiring Kit that basically adds functions ability for the rear wiper and rear defroster upon installation after hardtop. I know nothing about wiring or installation for a kit like this...probably the reason I never became an electrician, so can someone enlighten me to the difficulty in this procedure or at the very least the labor cost on the someone installing this along with a hardtop? Any help is always appreciated. Thank you.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11190_0057_07.htm

Did I just help you on Facebook a few days ago?

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Honestly not sure. In any case, bottom line is I don't need the wiring harness even if the website says it's for a freedom top installation? Is that my understanding.

Correct. You don't need it. I would be surprised though if you didn't find the wiring harness (at least the jeep part) already there and tucked under the carpet. You may even find an extra window washer hose.

Lift the rear carpet in and around the left wheelwell and have a look.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,856 Posts
The answer is - You do not NEED it to install the wiring just to drive it. It only adds functions that you don't NEED to have. The options for rear def and wiper are there only for convenience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts