Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Another user an I have been going back and forth about the freedom tops on our Jeeps. My 2012 has a center latch that locks the two sides of the top together while his front latch is right at the windshield line and locks into the loop in the center about the windshield. What gives with the two different styles? Anyone else find this before?

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
they moved the footman loop in 10 to stop a leaking problem. quadratec sells a piece that lets the two interchange. 40 bucks i think. and the newer model will have the center connection and bigger windows than the older 07 ish models. the other difference is if your putting a new top on an old jeep the 4 guide pins on the bottom of the rail dont have a hole to go into. you just need to take them off or drill holes in the older jeeps tub.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they moved the footman loop in 10 to stop a leaking problem. quadratec sells a piece that lets the two interchange. 40 bucks i think. and the newer model will have the center connection and bigger windows than the older 07 ish models. the other difference is if your putting a new top on an old jeep the 4 guide pins on the bottom of the rail dont have a hole to go into. you just need to take them off or drill holes in the older jeeps tub.

Yea..but here we are talking about two 2012 JK's and we have different Freedom Tops...his has a latch that locks into the footman loop over the windshield and my new 2012 doesn't. Both are hard tops from the factory....

·
Registered
2 Posts
And I have both - one at the windshield and one in the middle between the two sides. I have 2 door, 2012.

Along these lines, do your front clamps hook under the bracket or do they just press against them with the cushion. I feel like they should hook under / latch the same as the soft top?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Elarson said:
Guys

Another user an I have been going back and forth about the freedom tops on our Jeeps. My 2012 has a center latch that locks the two sides of the top together while his front latch is right at the windshield line and locks into the loop in the center about the windshield. What gives with the two different styles? Anyone else find this before?
The one with the latch that clicks on the front was a 2011-present top whereas the other one is '07-'10. The big difference between the 2 tops is the larger windows. Other than that they are pretty much the same. I bought one of each. I have the 11 top and I bought a 2008 for a buddy on his jk. I personally think the 11 is a bit tighter of a fit

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
MNJanderson said:
And I have both - one at the windshield and one in the middle between the two sides. I have 2 door, 2012.

Along these lines, do your front clamps hook under the bracket or do they just press against them with the cushion. I feel like they should hook under / latch the same as the soft top?
They just press and stay on with pressure. They also push backwards on the rear latches. It's perfectly strong tho. The reason they don't have to hook is because you don't have to hold the top taught because it is rigid unlike the soft top

1 - 6 of 6 Posts