Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't taken off the freedom tops since my last "leak fix" at the dealer. Took them off this morning and it looms like there is some tar in the area where the two panels meet in the back. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That's what they "fixed" the leak with. I think this is normal.......well on Wranglers anyway.

Reactions: cipster

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Remove that tar to make it look pretty and wait for the next monsoon or drip-drip-drip. IMO leave it alone if you're not experiencing leakage issues.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My used 2013 JKS came with similar "patches" - sort of a tacky foam tape. Used to bother me at first because it looks and feels messy, but I left it bc it does seem to be strategically placed to stop leaks. Mine seems to slowly bleed down the outside of the door though which I don't care for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
if it looks like tar, it's something called butyl. butyl does not belong in that area, nor does it belong ON TOP of any surface that sees frequent contact, removal, then contact again. butyl is supposed to form a semi-permanent bond between 2 surfaces. example - the leak repair manual calls for butyl to be applied between the hard top and the hard top gasket on the ends to ensure a seal and prevent back flow, and also in select areas along the windshield frame between the frame itself and the header gasket.

butyl does not belong ON TOP of a gasket like that. if that's how your dealer repaired your water leak, it may have been intentional or unintentional and i would have them remove it and re-test it for water leaks. in my half a dozen or so water leak repairs, i've seen butyl shoved in all sorts of areas it doesn't belong and it's a giant PITA to remove

·
Registered
655 Posts
Same on my '16 JKU. Oh well.
Yeah I have that stuff and it is constantly melting and leaking onto things permanently staining/marking them. Seems to be a lot of it in the cargo space somewhere, but I cannot find where it's coming from.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Here are some pics from mine, for comparison. I don't think it looks like tar, more like a dense foam tape than butyl (I think?).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Yeah, 'tar' probably isn't the correct term, but when I pulled one of the tops off it sort of stretched like chewing gum. If it keeps the rain out, I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
As a retired body shop mgr. for over 30 years, that's the biggest bunch of crap I ever seen. I would have liked to say something nice, but just couldn't see anything good about those repairs.

trainman

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny, I bought a demo Backcountry (3000kms) back in November and it has that stuff on the freedom panels as well. The panel storage bag is now ruined since that stuff has come off from the panels being inside the bag. Every time I put the panels in now, that stuff comes off on the panels making a huge mess. I assumed this is how it came from the factory since nothing was mentioned of any "repair" when I bought it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Funny, I bought a demo Backcountry (3000kms) back in November and it has that stuff on the freedom panels as well. The panel storage bag is now ruined since that stuff has come off from the panels being inside the bag. Every time I put the panels in now, that stuff comes off on the panels making a huge mess. I assumed this is how it came from the factory since nothing was mentioned of any "repair" when I bought it.

Yeah, I can't remember what I was researching at the time but I do recall coming across maybe a TSB that specifically includes the use of this stuff. Wish I could remember now what I was looking at...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Here are some pics from mine, for comparison. I don't think it looks like tar, more like a dense foam tape than butyl (I think?).

if your Jeep is still under warranty, i would take that back and have it all removed and done properly. that is horrendous

·
Registered
474 Posts
if your Jeep is still under warranty, i would take that back and have it all removed and done properly. that is horrendous

Definitely not under warranty anymore. JK was built Jan 2013. I'm actually glad to hear you think it looks bad. I thought so too but eventually got to ignoring/accepting it. Maybe I'll work on fixing it now that summer is here. It definitely sucks when I put my hand in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Definitely not under warranty anymore. JK was built Jan 2013. I'm actually glad to hear you think it looks bad. I thought so too but eventually got to ignoring/accepting it. Maybe I'll work on fixing it now that summer is here. It definitely sucks when I put my hand in the wrong place.

did you buy the Jeep used? who did the leak repair like that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts