Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must confess that to date I have underused the features of my Rubicon. Now that I am officialy retired, I hope to correct this. This weekend, I drove through a Miss. River wildlife refuge in low range with both axles locked on the dirt and gravel roads. First time I've had them locked since big snow last winter. How often do you need to use the features to keep them lubricated. Wisconsin is pretty flat really and haven't seen the need to use the sway bar disconnect much at all. What kind of terrain warrents it use and is there a lubrication issue with that. I haven't used that since I picked up the Jeep from the dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
The disconnect is used any time you anticipate lots of articulation while off road. Basically anything that is going to cause the springs on one side to compress a lot compared to the other side. Rock climbing, climbing hills with rocks, etc. In New England when I go off road, I disconnect. On difficult terrain, I am in 4 low. I only lock my differentials when I need them locked. Locking them when not needed puts unwarranted stress on the gears every time you turn a corner. If I'm not in difficult terrain I am usually in 2wd. Since it is so easy to switch in and out of 4wd, there is no reason to leave it in 4 when conditions do not warrant it for the same reason that I don't unnecessarily lock the differentials. On a steep climb or descent, it does add stability to lock them IMHO.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Anytime you're gonna be off road--you should put the jeep into 4hi--

I must confess that to date I have underused the features of my Rubicon. Now that I am officialy retired, I hope to correct this. This weekend, I drove through a Miss. River wildlife refuge in low range with both axles locked on the dirt and gravel roads. First time I've had them locked since big snow last winter. How often do you need to use the features to keep them lubricated. Wisconsin is pretty flat really and haven't seen the need to use the sway bar disconnect much at all. What kind of terrain warrents it use and is there a lubrication issue with that. I haven't used that since I picked up the Jeep from the dealership.
The use of the "Swaybar Disconnect" is rare, unless you're doing some serious rocking/off-camber travel--

Your lockers are needed only when you're gonna need POWER on both sides of the same axle-and you'll figure that out, it's a good idea to leave the jeep in 4hi for off-road use, but not so much the lockers, cause every time you turn, you'll put un-necessary wear on the front universals--

There is no "LUBE" associated with the lockers, they're just a elex actuated ring--any "lube" is in the diffs and they're turning all the time anyway !!

You Rubi HAS TO BE IN 4lo for the lockers to work and that means the "locker icons" have to be lit SOLID--no flashing--

Kapish ??

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
JIMBO,

I spend a lot of time on trails that have lots of rocks...like speed bumps and lots of flat other than the rocks that make it bumpy. During assents and descents that are gradual, I notice sometimes some diagonal rocking. I'm thinking that this is because of the drive being in diagonal wheels while in 4wd without the lockers on. Also on trails with a lot of tight turns, I'm wondering if being in 2wd might be better rather than having two wheels fighting on separate axles during turning?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I think, what he means is "is it ok to NOT use these features" will components go bad in the long hall? If you were to by a older rubicon who's disco's or lockers never once been disconnected/locked -is it bad for them?

Like my friend used to say "if you don't use it - you will lose it" lol
I think JIMBO answered the differential question of use it or lose it. The disco question makes me wonder. I don't see any harm if you know that you will be flexing some to use it. At least you will know if it is working and not seized.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
jk'n said:
I think JIMBO answered the differential question of use it or lose it. The disco question makes me wonder. I don't see any harm if you know that you will be flexing some to use it. At least you will know if it is working and not seized.
Understand. Won't hurt to disengage every once in a while to make sure every thing is still working properly :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When I’m wheeling I always air down and if I’m going to stay under 18 MPH I always push the button to disconnect the sway bar - at a minimum it makes the ride more comfortable, and when necessary it adds extra articulation. Note that you’ll have to be in 4 High or 4 Low for the sway bar disconnect to work.

I’m a more restrictive with using my lockers. If you want to engage front and rear lockers you’ll want to be going straight. It’s really difficult to make a turn - even on dirt - with front and rear lockers engaged. If you only engage your rear lockers then you can make turns easier. I typically engage both of my lockers when I’m going straight up a hill, or climbing over a rock ledge, or driving a wheel up a boulder, etc. You’ll need to engage them before you need them as they sometime take a few feet of travel to engage. Note that your lockers only work in 4 Low.

There’s also when to use 4 High vs. 4 Low, but that’s probably for another thread.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D You may be right, but

JIMBO,

I spend a lot of time on trails that have lots of rocks...like speed bumps and lots of flat other than the rocks that make it bumpy. During assents and descents that are gradual, I notice sometimes some diagonal rocking. I'm thinking that this is because of the drive being in diagonal wheels while in 4wd without the lockers on. Also on trails with a lot of tight turns, I'm wondering if being in 2wd might be better rather than having two wheels fighting on separate axles during turning?
Why do we buy a jeep, if not for the off-road caps--which means 4WD and Even though my '08 has 11,500 miles--90% ofit has been in 4WD and there are no suffering consquences--

I don't like to use the "Swaybar Disco" unless I REALLY needit, because they aren't the strongest setup on the block and are an expensive "FIX"

My lockers I do use almost every time in the sand, I showed in the "Sand Driving" pics and for the rocking you speakof--I usually let my Hankooks down to 18psi--softens the rocks and seldom use the lockers----whether you're in 4wd or not--the front diff is still doing its differential thing, but I don't think it would be a good idea to leaveit in 2wd---all of a sudden you may need the 4wd/4lo and have a hard time shifting that xfer case (old story)--

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I lock them on a steep descent because it seems to keep the jeep from slipping sideways. It's like being on rails almost. Seems handy when traversing wet rocks and mud on steeps.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Thanks JIMBO. :)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Thanx jk'n, you know there's another problem with the JK/JKU-non-rubis and -

Thanks JIMBO. :)
Thats the ESP/ABS sys hat will control the spinning tire so that the majority of power will go to the "PLANTED" tire-the trouble

With that is--it's a traction saver for off-camber/rocks, not a traction giver-

It will never give you full "LOCKED" power to both wheels on the same axle and sometimes you really need that-ie: shale/sand and deep snow-

I'm glad we had this chat !

Ciao

1 - 12 of 12 Posts