Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my jeep about 5000 miles every year. I only use it on weekends for recreation. I live in New York so we go through all the seasons.

I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. But I've recently read I should change every 8000 miles or 6 months whichever comes sooner.

What do you guys think?

12 jk, 50k miles, 33" tires with 2 1/2" RC lift kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it were me, I'd change the oil every 5k and while I'm at it, rotate the tires at the same time.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have a car that I drive less than 1000 miles per year.

I don't know this to be true or not, but oil is supposedly prone to oxidization once it's removed from the container. And, this is why auto manufacturers specify miles OR months in their recommended oil change schedule. Of course it could also be a lame reason to get you into the dealership for an unnecessary oil change.

I choose to do the one year thing... I change the oil every fall regardless of the mileage. It could be a waste of time, but I do it anyway :)

I'm not sure what your manual says, but since you're probably well under the specified mileage, I'd go with the specified time.

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts
If it were me, I'd change the oil every 5k and while I'm at it, rotate the tires at the same time.
^^^Me too....

Some suggest every 2,500 miles and others say with oils of today, 25,000 miles.

Just use common sense, for your comfort level. But never exceed, what your owners manual suggest!

Reactions: kik and Wandell

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I drive my jeep about 5000 miles every year. I only use it on weekends for recreation. I live in New York so we go through all the seasons.

I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. But I've recently read I should change every 8000 miles or 6 months whichever comes sooner.

What do you guys think?
I put under 5,000 miles a year onto mine (that's still a whole lot of trails!). With that, I change my oil/filter once a year (annually) and kind of forget the actual miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2005 LJ used to also only get driven 5K a year and I don't have a problem with the 5K/1YR oil change and did it myself. My 2012 JK is getting closer to 20K a year now and I go with 8K between oil changes at the dealership. They have a deal with four oil changes for $110 prepaid and my time is more valuable now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I change mine every 6 months. I too drive less than 5k/year. Manual states 8,000 miles or 6 months. I also do at the dealership every January and July. I had 12 free oil changes as a package when I bought it and just used the 12th. I will still have them do it. It is documented and they can never deny any claim that it was not changed properly.

Gasp - Yes I know I can change it on my own. I choose not to. I do however perform a 5-tire rotation every 5k miles in my garage. That way I know I do it correct.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Our 2012's are weird. I've never been able to settle on what is "correct" so I've just gone with 5K for peace of mind. I tend to put about 9-10K a year on and many times it takes me up to 7-8 months to hit 5K sometimes depending on how much I'm driving certain months (it's my DD but I have a 10 mile roundtrip commute). I know the manual says 6 months, but then newer years with the same engine are 12 months, but also use a slightly different oil weight so it's really confusing. I wouldn't think the head revision would contribute to the massive difference in months on the interval but that's a total guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts