Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 1987 yj 4.2 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a cost effect replacement for the stock air intake. Thank in advance for the contribution's

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I agree with Stan. X2. The stock airbox is by far more efficient than any of the cold air intakes and it is better protected filter wise, than any of the CAI's on the market.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree with Stan. X2. The stock airbox is by far more efficient than any of the cold air intakes and it is better protected filter wise, than any of the CAI's on the market.
^ x3 and x2 to everything he said.
Imo a better intake won't do you any noticeable good unless you add things to it like a bored throttle body, ported intake/exhaust, and then more free flowing exhaust/headers. Your stock motor can only handle so much air at a giving time, upgrading that won't do you much of anything.

The stock air box is actually a pretty good CAI

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Since you have an 87 carb'd 4.2, you have an old school air cleaner it it's stock. I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only want to replace it because the stock housing is missing the bolt over the air filter and is a bit beat up. I'm looking to try and get a replacement not an upgrade my mistake I just can't seem to find the replacement stock air box.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I only want to replace it because the stock housing is missing the bolt over the air filter and is a bit beat up. I'm looking to try and get a replacement not an upgrade my mistake I just can't seem to find the replacement stock air box.
You can most likely get one from this place: J&W Auto Wreckers: New & Used Jeep Parts - Home
Tell them you need an air "cleaner", or try and only get the part(s) you need. I've done a lot of business with them and they're great to deal with. I was able to get a stock air cleaner wing nut from them for my 89. They should have what you need. Whether or not the prices will be what you're looking for you'll have to check.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I will check them out. Realistically I could get away with the mounting bolt and wing nut for the air filter side and the wing nut for over the carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts