Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Front alignment issue!

8K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  kjeeper10 
#1 ·
So im searching this forum all day and cant find the right answer so i apologize in advance and if there is a thread im not seeing please post! Been chasing a front wheel shake at 55-60mph For months now i have noticed with my steering wheel straight if i stare at the front wheels my driver side wheel is straight and the passenger side wheel is way toed out.Now,i have not found the right answer because i keep reading the same thing on the threads that theres no way that my wheels have 2 opposite toes or maybe its an optical illusion.I disagree.My wheel is for sure toed way the hell out and does not look right.Is there a fix for bringing in my passenger wheel only adjusting on my tie rod? From what ive read and been told is that my tie rod can only adjust two ways and thats bringing both my wheels in or bringing them back out(the toe i mean) I strongly believe between the passenger wheel being toed way out and the fact that my stock trackback is shorter after doing the 3.5'' lift(from what ive read and why im installing a RE adjustable trackbar this weekend) that this is why my front wheels have a bad shimmy at those speeds i stated and i know it is not death wobble.My alignment was done twice but im assuming the machine rack said my wheels were aligned and the mechanic didnt notice the one really toed out passenger wheel? Ive also had my wheels balanced twice from 2 different shops and still have the front end shake.I know its hard to pinpoint the issue without seeing in person cus it can be so many things causing it.Not that it helps a whole lot but i also have a steering stabalizer on as well.Any input or direction to a helpful thread or also just some best ways to do my own alignment in the comfort of my driveway would be greatly appreciated.Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#9 ·
I brought my jeep to my buddies shop because all of a sudden my steering wheel was off a little.I know my axels are not centered cus i measured them earlier today.When my buddy lossened my draglink(im assuming thats what he loosened) i hopped up into my truck and he told me to straighten the wheel and he told me he didnt have to touch anything meaning he tightened everything back in the same spot it orginally was after i straightened the wheel.Im all messed up lol

#3 ·
Also had my truck on stands last night and i checked for any play in my wheels and they seem pretty solid so im gonna assume my joints are good and also watched my steering components while my buddy turned the wheel back and forth and didnt see any obvious play.

#11 ·
But let me ask this.Can i possibly bring in the toe on my passenger wheel only or does my tie rod only allow me to bring both in or out at the same time? ive never done these things myself until recently researching alot and realizing how easy it is to do alot of this stuff in my own driveway.Invested alot of money in my Jeep as im sure everyone feels at some point lol

#15 ·
Yes im realizing that lol i watched some videos on adjusting my steering wheel and everyone easily did it right from the draglink ike youre supposed to do.So im not sure what he was doing then.This weekend hopefully im gonna get the new track bar on and recenter my axel and then try to get my toe in on bout sides i believe the proper toe in is about 1/16'-1/8'?

#13 ·
Before you go ripping out stuff..... No matter what lift you go with you need to understand the geometry involved.... First set your toe in, Plenty of vids on youtube, Next center your steering wheel....Again.. you tube. Camber is what it is. Caster can only be adjusted by length of control arms...Either cam bolts, (dont do it) drop brackets...(better) adjustable upper or lower control arms.(yes please) Pick your poison. and you need to adjust your track bar so your axle is centered...Best option is adjustable track bar. Its actually pretty easy....I measured my stock caster via phone app, then adjusted my upper control arms until I was close to factory reading...When I went for my alignment I was perfect at 5deg. So I paid people for peace of mind because he changed nothing! It really isnt that hard.

#17 ·
I was considering the drop brackets for control arm correction but i do not like the loss of clearence even tho most people say i gotta pick my battlles with clearence or comfort lol I have the RE adjustable trackbar coming.I also threw in a lower fixed front control arm from what the sales tech told me is actually 2'' longer and gives me the needed 5 degrees i need so ill see how that goes first along with setting my toe and recentering my axles

#14 ·
Oh, And I love my 5100s

#21 ·
Yes you do but its stupid easy. Just making a couple holes a tad bigger. Dont let it scare you. I had to on mine. any ways aparently not all are the same.

#22 ·
I could of installed the stinger myself in about an hour but i will say it does have some weight so it was a little tough trying to line up the holes for the bolts by myself considering i have 2 slipped discs in my back already! I think its a great bumper and it looks great but hey everyone has their own opinions.Only thing i didnt like is i lost my stock foglights as there is nowhere to install them so you have to be creative.My fog light harnesses are stiill tucked in my fender until i figure out what im gonna do.Im considering a small 2 foot light bar in front of my winch

#25 ·
the more i look its starting to make more sense to me ...my steering wheel is turned a little to the right but when im looking straight at my wheels from outside when the wheel is straight my wheels are slightly turned to the left.So im gonna pray that after the adj track bar and recenter my axle with a nice alignent i should be ok...also i was outside 10 mins ago snooping around my axel u-joints and on one side of my passenger side one of the bushings look like it falling apart with grease coming through and considering i havent even hit 29k miles on my jeep thats gotta be a huge culprate for shaking at high speeds,no?

#26 ·
I'm surprised your dash isn't lighting up like a Christmas tree. Your adjustable track bar is only going to center your axles under the vehicle. From left to right. Your tie rod bar... The one with the steering damper is where you adjust your toe. The bar above that going from your knuckle to pitman arm is where you adjust your steering wheel. If you have a wrench and a friend to watch your steering wheel you can do that in under 20 minutes. 40 without said friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.