Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lots of money involved. Would definitely want to watch, and help people do it numerous times before trying to do it yourself. Money better spent is to pay to have it done by a professional.

You could invest $500 in a dial indicator with magnetic base, press, torque wrench,.. and have that stuff sit in a tool box not to be used again for a long while, or pay someone $500 to do it and have a warranty on your gears and locker.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes they are easy to put in. The lunchbox type just install in your factory open carrier and replaces the spider gears. The full case lockers replace your stock carrier and you will have to reset your backlash to its current setting. This requires a shim kit and a dial indicator with a magnetic base. I did my front in about 3-4 hours because you have to pull the carrier. The rear took me awhile because I had to switch to an open carrier and reset my lash. If you already have a rear open diff you don't have to pull the carrier at all.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
To do a full case locker it is not hard, but like it has been said there are some specialized tools that most people do not have laying around as they are quite expensive. You must reset the ring and pinion when installing a full locker. What one are you specifically looking at?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry I didn't specify that I have the lunchbox type front and rear.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Lunch box are the cheapest but with the snow you see I wouldn't suggest it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is this "Lunch Box" you speak of?
Is this slang or a brand name?
I've thought about lockers too, but haven't heard of this.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
luckydusty said:
What is this "Lunch Box" you speak of?
Is this slang or a brand name?
I've thought about lockers too, but haven't heard of this.
It just replaces the spider gears

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts