Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did everyone wire their reverse and/ or their front camera? I like the idea of being able to see in front of the jeep with a camera whenever I like. I was thinking that would be convenient to be able to see behind me with a camera even whiteout being in reverse. Did anyone else wire there camera to be able to use it even without being in reverse? I'm trying to figure out where to tap the power source for the front and the rear camera so that I can view the images anytime i want.

Thank you

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a vid on youtube showing front & rear cams working via my switch panel and an independent LCD screen. I used a 5-pin relay to make this happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X88N0IvFP3E

That is really sweet. Thats kinda what i want to do except i wanted my rear camera to be the same as my reverse camera. Also is there a way to wire it without having to use switches? I have an after market radio with a camera button and just wanted to activate the camera using the button.

Thanks for the share

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is really sweet. Thats kinda what i want to do except i wanted my rear camera to be the same as my reverse camera. Also is there a way to wire it without having to use switches? I have an after market radio with a camera button and just wanted to activate the camera using the button.

Thanks for the share
This was the best solution I found for those who still have their stock head unit, without having to purchase some aftermarket software such as a lockpick or NavTV. Not only would that set you back a few hundo, but it could also give reason to potentially void the factory warranty in the event anything were to go wrong. All my cameras, screen and wiring set me back less than $100.

Since you have an aftermarket unit- I have no idea. I was just under the impression that the computer will not allow a signal to be sent to the head unit unless the Jeep is in reverse (at least stock) due to the safety features. Again, this can be overridden with the lockpick/NavTV option- but I have no idea if it's still needed with your unit. I'd suggest researching what you have and going from there. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Since you have an aftermarket unit- I have no idea. I was just under the impression that the computer will not allow a signal to be sent to the head unit unless the Jeep is in reverse (at least stock) due to the safety features. Again, this can be overridden with the lockpick/NavTV option- but I have no idea if it's still needed with your unit. I'd suggest researching what you have and going from there. Best of luck!
The lock pick/navtv is used as an interface to unlock the backup camera (and other features) of the vehicle when using a stock radio. The interface reads the CANBUS and knows when the vehicle is in reverse and then enables the camera view in the radio. The reverse signal is always on the CANBUS. It's simply that without a dealer flash or a lock pick device, the vehicle doesn't know there's a backup camera, so the stock radio does nothing when the vehicle is in reverse.

For an aftermarket head unit, no interface/lock pick is needed. The camera simply needs power and the head unit needs a reverse signal. Most aftermarket units allow cameras to be viewed at any time by pressing a button. Therefore, cameras should be powered by a switched 12v source and not the reverse light power. You tap into the reverse lights with the radio's reverse signal wire (usually purple).

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any further details on the 5 pin relay wiring? I assume one camera goes to the typically hot middle pin, one to the switched pin?
I don't have diagram handy, but I just googled one when I did it last summer. I believe you're correct though...87 & 87a are the pins if memory serves...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts