Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my 99 TJ on jack stands while replacing the front fenders.

Was wondering how much resistance should there be turning the front rotors by hand. Seems like it takes considerable force to turn them by hand? There is no noise or grinding that I've noticed from the front end and everything seems to run fairly quiet... well quiet for a Jeep.

I realize this is a somewhat subjective question but wanted to know if there is a way to check to make sure everything is turning as freely as it should.....

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should take considerable resistance to rotate the hubs. The hubs are not supposed to just spin freely.
OK.. thanks... just wanted to be sure it's working properly! Already have fenders off and on jack stands if something else needed to be worked on.........

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Grab the hub and try to move it around in three dimensions. If you notice any play other then the normal forward or reverse rotation it could be time to replace them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and check for play that way. If you feel a little play the hub bearing is on its way out but have someone watch the upper and lower ball joints while doing it. When you grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock you can test the tie rod ends and pitman arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts