Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm installing new brakes on the front of the TJ and noticed on the drivers side there is a strong presence of grease on the back of the hub,h hub edge, stub heads and behind it. Its not a dry powdery grease from normal wear.
When I took the rotor off I was surprised to see all of the build up especially on the edge of the hub.
The passenger side has some but its dry and powdery.
This side, the drivers side seemed wet and loose.
So I cleaned it up with some gunk. I spun the axle by hand but dont see anything coming out or dripping.

Im not sure what this is called so if anyone can chime in and help me out with some information on it & how to go about changing the seal(web tutorial) I would greatly appreciate the help. Again, its not dripping but it was rather very messy compared to the passenger side.

I know I should have snapped a photo before I cleaned it up but you can still see the grease in the crack. Just imagine it all over the right side including the edge and about back about 3/8's of an inch on the left. You can actually see where the grease spot stops and the rusty brown starts. lol! It was pretty caked up.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Must be a worn seal in the unit bearing letting its internal grease seep out. An axle seal leak will run down the front axle tube and pool in the lower ball joint area; it wouldn't make it past the u-joint to coat the unit bearing like that.

If the bearing is running dry, you will probably notice a whining and some play soon. They're usually good for 80k - 100k on stock tires and "normal" driving conditions. With bigger tires and off-roading, the lifespan goes down sharply. Both Moog and Timkin make decent quality replacements.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Id recommend Timken. RockAuto has a 5% discount.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
BIG Thanks C.L. and tworley.
I did a google on unit bearing & came up with this part # for it.
Timken HA597449

Before I pull the trigger on it can anyone verify its the correct part # for an 06 TJ 6 cyl?

I also checked Rock Auto but cant seem to find "unit bearing" in the list. I tried the above Name and Part # with zero results. Would it be wheel bearing? I would love to use the 5% discount for Rock Auto. :)
Thats the same number I get. Its under Brake and Wheel hub -- Wheel hub assembly

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks tworley. Much appreciated. Ordering now. :) Love Rock Auto. :)
FYI, there are two hub assemblies for the TJ, one for early TJs and one for 99 1/2+ I think (maybe just 2000 and up). That may affect your brake rotor, as there were two different rotors used throughout production for each hub.

It doesn't matter which one you buy and install, but you need to make sure it matches your current rotor set otherwise you're going to need the other type of rotor for when you're changing the brakes (i.e. it might not match your year when you go to autozone or whatnot).

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yes, that is true. I should have mentioned that.

But for his 06 the part # above is correct.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'm a bit late to get back, but should mention that there are different ones for ABS vs. Non-ABS. It's a couple bucks cheaper not to put a tone ring on the non-ABS ones (but your computer will complain if you put it on an ABS rig.)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well before I pulled the trigger on Rock Auto I did a quick search on advance auto and found a 30% coupons for the online order. I suppose it was a 4th of July Sale (online) as in store couldnt do apply that % off.
Anyway I ended up doing a purchase online and pick up at my local store.

They had the MOOG Part #513158. The price came in a dollar under Rock Auto's and I was able to get it that day. I was happy.

Ill have to match it up with my old one.

How do you tell if its ABS or Non ABS?

Thanks again for the help fellas...

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Same spot as your battery, only driver side-- see if you have a tray for the abs pump. If not, you'll just see an empty tray.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah Okay I was wondering what that empty tray was for when I first got my TJ. At least now I am getting a bit more familiar with this Jeep. :) Thanks again everyone.

p.s. What is the best grease for the caliper slide pins?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts