Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping a U-joint for the first time.
The entire axle spins when I try to remove the axle nut. Am supposed to have this thing in 4L or 4H to do remove the nut?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you put it in 4 wheel and have both tires off the front, you will never be able to loosen the nut as the other side will spin when you wrench on it. You have to have a tire on the ground.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
D-30 Axle Shaft Removal - 2

The nut being taken off here.
Check the "note" right under the big picture ;)

NOTE: At this point, you have an option. You can skip this step, thus leaving the bearing and hub assembly attached to the axle shaft. You can do a u-joint change in this configuration. It is a little more clumsy and awkward, but none the less, it can be done. Since I was actually going to swap my spare shafts in and overhaul the u-joints on these shafts next weekend, I needed to remove the bearing and hub assembly so they could be used on my spare shafts.

Removing that giant nut has nothing to do with actually pulling axle shafts, it is done to pull the unit bearing hub.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Ok, let's say I skip that step. How so I get the U joint replaced with out doing that?
Continue on following that guide you linked me to. You will have to remove the 3 bolts on the back side that run through the knuckle. After those bolts are pulled, you can just pull and slide the axle shaft out. Then just procede with replacing the U joints.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
You can also just leave the rotor on with one or two lug nuts holding it place use a long screwdrive in the vents of the rotor. The screw driver will hit the caliper mount and thus not allow the hub to turn allowing you to then remove the hub nut. You still have to pull the hub and shaft out as once section then change out the u-joint, unless you removed the hub nut.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Continue on following that guide you linked me to. You will have to remove the 3 bolts on the back side that run through the knuckle. After those bolts are pulled, you can just pull and slide the axle shaft out. Then just procede with replacing the U joints.
Are you sure the axle shaft can come out without taking odd the axle nut? I got the three 13mm 12 point bolt out of the back no problem but it dosnt seem to be getting me anywhere. I do live in MN so there is a lot of corrosion.
What do I do just pull? That's not working.
Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm new to this stuff.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Victor Ward said:
Are you sure the axle shaft can come out without taking odd the axle nut? I got the three 13mm 12 point bolt out of the back no problem but it dosnt seem to be getting me anywhere. I do live in MN so there is a lot of corrosion.
Ya it should just pop out after that. The rust/corrosion may be gettin u. U may have to try Spraying it with something to help free it up. You may also try working at it with a mallet or something.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
The unitbearing is stuck in the knuckle. If you are keeping that unitbearing, you don't want to damage it by beating on it. This works rather well and Stu has an explanation of it on his website.

Turn the stub shaft yoke until it's horizontal, put the bolt between the yoke and inner C with the steering wheel unlocked. Grab the front side of the unitbearing and pull it back until the bolt stays in place and then go turn the steering wheel a bit and it will pop the unitbearing out on that side.

Do it again on the other side and it will jack the unitbearing out of the knuckle without you breaking a sweat or hurting anything.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Black Magic Brakes said:
The unitbearing is stuck in the knuckle. If you are keeping that unitbearing, you don't want to damage it by beating on it. This works rather well and Stu has an explanation of it on his website.

Turn the stub shaft yoke until it's horizontal, put the bolt between the yoke and inner C with the steering wheel unlocked. Grab the front side of the unitbearing and pull it back until the bolt stays in place and then go turn the steering wheel a bit and it will pop the unitbearing out on that side.

Do it again on the other side and it will jack the unitbearing out of the knuckle without you breaking a sweat or hurting anything.
Great tip. I always forget about this. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts