Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I searched al little on the forum but could not find my question. My new front driveshaft should be coming in the mail this morning and if time allows I will be installing it sometime today. The question I have is about the pinion angle. When the lift was installed the techs set angle for the stock shaft. I am replacing with an Adams double cardan. The Jeep isn't driven daily. Would it be a bad idea to mount the shaft with the pinion angle the way it is now?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Without knowing where you are it would be hard to say. Generally the pinion should be roughly pointing at the TC output, so that the pinion and the driveshaft are pretty much in line.
The simple test is to install it, drive it, and see if you have a drive line vibration. If you don't, you are fine. If you do, you will need to adjust the pinion angle so it is more in line. It will not immediately blow up or fail if it is too far out of line. But it will vibrate, which could lead to issues if left that way for too long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both the T case output and the pinion are pretty much level to the ground. I haven't put a level on it but eye balling. Wish I would've just bought the driveshaft when I had the lift installed, would've made life a little easier. That or locking hubs.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Good luck with the locking hubs, not an easy mod. If you raise the pinion to be aiming at the TC you will be removing caster and that could cause some driving issues. Setting your caster to 4-5 deg is about as good as you can do if you have vibes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Solmony,
I installed an Adams front drive shaft yesterday on my 2dr, with a 2.5" lift and I didn't have to make any adjustments to my control arms. When I lifted my Jeep, JKS recommended adding 1/4 inch to my control arms as a starting point and it has worked out fine for me. My current caster reading is 4.7 (+ or - ) and I don't feel any difference while driving. Time will certainly tell...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts