Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching loads of youtube vids, been years since ai have owned a SFA truck. Wondering about the proper way of removing and re-installing a front D30/44 axle shaft?

Slow and steady? Can you feel the seal when you come up to it?

Just wondering for future repairs such as unit bearing replacement.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Slide hammer and a 12 point, 13mm ratcheting wrench will come in handy.

·
Premium Member
6,948 Posts
The unit bearing is not difficult, just complex. You first have to remove the brake caliper from the yoke and hang it over to one side out of the way. Do not disconnect the brake hose or you will have to bleed the brakes. You then remove the rotor which should just come right off (it mounts to the wheel studs which are in unit bearing. The unit bearing is then removed by removing four bolts from the back side (special bolt head requires 12pt socket).

I just replaced brake calipers, pads, rotors front and rear as well as unit bearings, ball joints and axle u-joints on my TJ. Brakes definitely needed replacing and while you are in, the ball joints had almost 130K on them, no extra effort to replace the unit bearings.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The unit bearing is not difficult, just complex. You first have to remove the brake caliper from the yoke and hang it over to one side out of the way. Do not disconnect the brake hose or you will have to bleed the brakes. You then remove the rotor which should just come right off (it mounts to the wheel studs which are in unit bearing. The unit bearing is then removed by removing four bolts from the back side (special bolt head requires 12pt socket).

I just replaced brake calipers, pads, rotors front and rear as well as unit bearings, ball joints and axle u-joints on my TJ. Brakes definitely needed replacing and while you are in, the ball joints had almost 130K on them, no extra effort to replace the unit bearings.
Make that 3 12-point bolts on the backside and the one big axle nut on the front, if memory serves me correctly it's a 36mm.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Removing unit bearing that’s rusted on is easy. You put a socket behind it and use the steering force to pop it out. I made a YouTube video doing is with steering detached and a sledge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts