Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 jku and have noticed both ends of the front axle are wet at the knuckle. So obviously the axle seals are leaking by on both sides. I’m just wondering for anyone that’s had this issue what parts are needed to fix it? Is it literally just 2 front axle seals like what I’ve found in this link?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52426_1117.htm

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes that's all you need but;
the installation is not easy, you almost have to disassemble the axle, including removing pinion and gear.

Youtube have more info:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did it a few months ago, It took about 4 hours from start to finish but not terrible. Just be careful when removing the ring and pinion. There's a few good write ups on here that you can look up

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I was going to say. Cheap easy parts. About 4 hours of time and you'll need a specialized setup to get the bearings to seat. I made a press out of a long pc of allthread and some large washers, and some pcs off a harbor freight bearing install tool.

I didn't have to remove the pinion on mine, just the carrier/locker/ring gear. Ive done it twice (2nd time was a very minor leak, but had to take it apart to do some locker work anyway.)

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts
OP - if you haven't already done so, be sure to call Quadratec and let them know you are a WF member and want to get set up for their discount. They generally give a small discount to WF members on most products, and free shipping.

Ask around and find out who other Jeepers in the area trust and talk to them. Some mechanics don't like owner supplied parts because they get a hefty discount over the counter and charge you list.

I wouldn't touch that, but then I have a mechanic who is reasonable and is noted for being good with differentials. He has other shops bring him axles to work on. (Of course the other shop puts an upcharge on his labor).

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Pinion doesn’t have to come out to do axle seals, just the carrier.
DO NOT use aftermarket axle seals. Use only the Mopar 2pce seals Part number 68304271AA.
This is not a job for the average guy but if you do try it yourself make sure you mark the bearing caps so they go back together the same orientation they came out. Make sure you don’t mix up the shims as they need to go back the way they came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,737 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the help! I won’t be tackling this myself, I’ll have a shop do it. Also it’s not a rubicon so no worries there! I may push it off for a while. The lower c of the knuckle is just damp but it’s not flowing out of there like crazy.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Mine have been done twice already... first at 10,000 km and then at 40,000km... probably going to blow up this summer again...

Sounds like they didn’t use the 2 pce seals. My last set of seals had 100,000klm when I traded my Jeep in.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Sounds like they didn’t use the 2 pce seals. My last set of seals had 100,000klm when I traded my Jeep in.

Interesting... I have to do mine too.

What's a "2 pce seal"? Are they better than stock? Where do you get them?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
The 2 pce is the upgraded MOPAR factory seal. PN 68304271AA. Aftermarket does not offer a 2pce seal only a double lip seal.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The 2 pce is the upgraded MOPAR factory seal. PN 68304271AA. Aftermarket does not offer a 2pce seal only a double lip seal.

Thank you for explaining that!
Sometime this summer I have to do mine. They won't cover under warranty. They're claiming my wheels are too big (315's)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
2 pc supposedly came out in 2013/2014. Mine is a 2014 but still had the 1 pc seal. I replaced with the 2pc. Guess I had old stock.

To be fair, mine wasn't leaking but I took the entire axle apart to do truss/locker/gears, so I just took the time to replace while I was at it. The last leak was VERY minor, probably could have let it go for quite a while but had it apart for other stuff....again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts