Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
89YJ 4.2 - currently installing Sniper EFI. 4"lift, 33" tires, yada yada
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford 8.8 rear with 4.10 gears and disc brakes sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped.

My stock Dana 30 front has been leaking a bit, and rather than putting any money towards fixing it, I'm wondering what might be a good axle to swap it with? If I kept this 30, I'd have to regear it anyway since I'll be putting 4.10 in the back. So, rather than fixing the leak, and then regearing.... I'm starting to think of other options.

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Drop a high pinion 44 in it and be done!! Late 70's bronco or pick up. Take it to differential shop and have them shave a few inches off it if your deterred by the width.

image-735083062.jpg

Purty isn't it?!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is this a budget type build? If so, and you don't plan going bigger than 35's, I would find a 4 cylinder YJ Dana 30. It will have the same bolt pattern, gear ratio and close enough to the width as your 8.8.

Wagoneer 44's are wider, different bolt pattern and will not bolt in. Same with the late 70's Ford stuff. Cutting down the housings, custom shafts, new steering etc. can get expensive quick.

I am running 79 Bronco 9" and 44 front which I believe is about 5 1/2"s wider than stock. It was not a bolt in swap. I am happy with it, but I still had to re gear, add lockers, buy spring hangers and u bolts and new wheels. It drained my bank account pretty quick!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dana 30 from a 4 banger is my obvious choice, but thought I'd toss this question out to see if there was something I wasn't considering. I definitely don't want to get into shaving off the axles, and everything else that 44 might entail.
And, no... I a, not going bigger than 35's. Currently sitting on 33's, but might go to 35's... "Might." Certainly nothing bigger.

Reactions: Madmax91

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drop a high pinion 44 in it and be done!! Late 70's bronco or pick up. Take it to differential shop and have them shave a few inches off it if your deterred by the width.

Purty isn't it?!
And yes... Certainly is purty. Mmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Wagoneers come in a narrow width that will bolt in just avoid the CAD or central axle disconnect version.

The J truck 44's are the right width as well.

Chief

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too was told in my thread to look for a 4 banger yj. I am nowhere close to an expert but I have a 95 wrangler yj that was stock when I got it. It has 3:55 gears. What year did they put 4:10 gears in the yj?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I too was told in my thread to look for a 4 banger yj. I am nowhere close to an expert but I have a 95 wrangler yj that was stock when I got it. It has 3:55 gears. What year did they put 4:10 gears in the yj?
All 4cyl YJs should have 4.10s.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Pritty sure all 4cyls have 4:10. 6 cyls have 3.08, or I think the 3:55.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wagoneers come in a narrow width that will bolt in just avoid the CAD or central axle disconnect version.

The J truck 44's are the right width as well.

Chief
Weren't they 6 lug as well? I know the Waggys were. That adds a lot of cost for not much gain, if any. I would rather buy some cro-mo 30 shafts than fit a waggy 44, with the right width and bolt pattern under it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is alway the option of purchasing a G2 Dana 44 front. They come with many options including locker choice and gear ratio.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There is alway the option of purchasing a G2 Dana 44 front. They come with many options including locker choice and gear ratio.
And a $3k price tag with stock 30 unit bearings and brakes. I don't see the need for that for mild wheeling and 33's.

2 sets of cro-mo shafts, the cost of a 4 cyl. Dana 30, a lunch box locker, and tools to fix it would be half the cost.

Not bad mouthing the G-2 stuff, I had a rear 44 of theirs for a while. The axle did great, the True Trac sucked though.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Dude...run a Waggy front narrow track from an 81 through 91....(if the Waggy doesn't have fender flares then its a narrow track)...its 60" wide and 6 lug....then get some wheel adapters for the rear to make it 6 lug and 60" wide and be done with it....
Myself I would've went with the Isuzu Rodeo d44 but that's not the ? Here is it...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Is there a reason people dont just go with a TJ 44 front? It simple as hell to convert coils to leaf springs. Maybe I am missing something?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Never thought if it is my guess. But didn't get only come in the rubis?
Yup. I'm guessing they'd cost a pretty penny too. I haven't even been able to find one around here.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts

View attachment 270450

Purty isn't it?!
You had that axle cut down...? From what 65?....to what?... it looks like its wider then 60"
It would also do a lot better out on the rocks if you move your shock mounts up on top of you axle or at least behind them so there not hanging down to get hung up on....
Looks good though...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts