Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just seeing if anyone has a rough estimate of what a shop should charge to replace both front axle u joints and inner axle seals on a 98 TJ. The joints are original and are completely shot and the seals are pretty degraded. I got 230k out of them so not bad! Anyways I have no access to garage to DIY and it’s my daily driver so I have decided to take it to garage but don’t want to be severely overcharged.

Thanks! Any insight will help

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think I paid around $250 for my rear axle seals to be replaced. Not sure on the u joints; perhaps about the same price?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I’d estimate 3 hours labor for everything. For parts you’ll need U-joints, axle seals, pinion seal, crush sleeve, and a new pinion nut. And gear oil, obviously.

·
Registered
454 Posts
you don't have to do all that^
I just did new joints and shafts that are bigger and stronger and didn't take long at all, but if you don't have a socket set then they prob charge like $300 to do just joints.
kit came with seals and I didn't even do those either, why? because the stock seals aint leaking.
usa shafts I believe was the manufacturer

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I would guess somewhere around 250 to 400 to do everything. I would guess 3 hours labor and they would probably charge you 75 to 100 for parts and supplies. Where are you located? I am in Missouri. If you are close you can bring it over to my house this weekend and we can knock the entire thing out in about 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn I got reamed, the shop I went to charged for 7 hours of labor for front axles seals and joints, and front differential service totaling $850. I should of shopped around more, lesson learned wont be going back to that shop, ha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts