Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go 2 change my front axle u joints only 2 find that the passenger side is a larger u joint than the driver side - of course the u joints I bought are the same size??? Has anyone run into this issue before?? Can I just go get a bigger u joint or will this throw off balance 2 much - should I go 2 the junkyard and get another axle?? What do ya think?? Thanx - Bill

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm about to change my pass u joint myself. Wasn't aware of differnt sizes. Think I'll follow this thread before I pull mine apart

·
Registered
47 Posts
in 95 the yj,s used bigger joints and maybe it got upgraded by the po. it might be a cherokee axle as well. the one with the abs tone rings have bigger joints as well and maybe some without

·
Registered
853 Posts
So I go 2 change my front axle u joints only 2 find that the passenger side is a larger u joint than the driver side
there were two different sizes for the front axles. Just take it off and bring it to the store. they should have no issues matching it to the second size.

... should I go 2 the junkyard and get another axle??...
I bet anything that what someone had done before. That's why you have this situation on your hands.

In any case, to me it looks like you have two ways of dealing with it:
- leave axles the way they are (size-wise) and just remember next time you're buying u-joints (whenever it might be) to buy one small and one big one, or you can get an axle with a bigger u-joint to replace the one you have to have both sides the same. It's your choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 4 the input - I found a larger u-joint and Im just gonna put it back together with the larger joint on one side - dont guess it will hurt anything - its obviously been set up like that 4 a long time. Thanks again - Bill

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Is your 4wd still working off vacuum? If not you might have a TJ shaft on that side.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well crafty that is sorta a trick question 4 me cuz I still need 2 get my 4WD working but, the vacuum system is still in place - my transfer case will not shift out of 2 high though :confused:- thats my next challenge after the front end work. 4 now I'm just gonna go with the big u-joint on 1 side I dont see how it can hurt anything - thanks 4 the input :wavey: see ya - Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts