Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1993 YJ 4.0 with the original dana 30 and I have recently installed the Aussie Locker in the front. The vacuum system works intermittently at best. I have decided because of the age of the vehicle that i will just upgrade to a single axle. Is this something I can buy off the shelf or does it have to come out of salvage. I have seen people mention TJ axle, is that the best route?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear Lockers

I own a 1993 YJ 4.0 with the original dana 35 in the rear with an open differential. I have already upgraded the front with an Aussie locker and I am now wanting to upgrade the rear with a locker. My jeep will be used for sandy trail riding and maybe some light mudding at best. What are my best options and advantages/disadvantages of keeping lockers continuously closed versus open when 4wd not needed.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I seem to recall there are issues with going with a non disconnect axle like in the TJ. Something to do with the Tcase, I think.

There is a cable actuated replacement for the vacuum system available.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I seem to recall there are issues with going with a non disconnect axle like in the TJ. Something to do with the Tcase, I think.

There is a cable actuated replacement for the vacuum system available.
To use a TJ axle you need a TJ/XJ electric t-case sensor, it replaces the vacuum switch. Super easy to swap out.

To the OP, my opinion on the TJ shaft is that it is better than other options. It is way more difficult to install overall and more costly, but there is no cable or vacuum line that could malfunction to prevent you from going into 4x4, and you get bigger u-joints as a bonus. To me not having the 4wd work when I want it to was the reason I didn't bother fixing the vacuum system when there was a direct-4wd alternative, and the cable upgrade seemed a bit chinsey to me. Again this is just my opinion on why I went with TJ shafts, the best solution differs from everyone lol.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I did the 4x4 Posi-Lock on my '94 cable works fine and is an easy install. I like the fact that you can disengage the front axle and still have 2 lo (actually 3 lo) when you need to make tight turns in the woods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts