Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a D44 front axle housing to start building on. I've seen Core44, Teraflex, Currie, G2,Dynatrac, etc.....
What would you recommend and why. Largest tire I'll ever run is 37"
Thanks!

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
I like the Tera44 for its giant 3.25" outer tube diameter and massive forged Cs. One thing to note though is that not all Tera44 models come with the "extreme duty axle tube" which gives you a 0.5" tube wall. The standard duty axle tube has a 0.25" wall (same as OEM)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size tires are you running? I'm looking to install ARB or Ox locker with 4.56 gears and upgrade axle shafts.
I ran 37's on a '99 TJ D30 with 4.56/Detroit Locker/Warn Axle shafts with lock-out hubs with never an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've noticed the difference in tube thicknesses. I was warned with the thicker tube, the pumpkin becomes the weak spot. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I like the Tera44 for its giant 3.25" outer tube diameter and massive forged Cs. One thing to note though is that not all Tera44 models come with the "extreme duty axle tube" which gives you a 0.5" tube wall. The standard duty axle tube has a 0.25" wall (same as OEM)

You can also get the Tera44 with extra caster built in. The .5" wall tubes with extra caster is the way to go.

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
What size tires are you running? I'm looking to install ARB or Ox locker with 4.56 gears and upgrade axle shafts.
I ran 37's on a '99 TJ D30 with 4.56/Detroit Locker/Warn Axle shafts with lock-out hubs with never an issue.
me? Right now I'm on stock suspension and tires, but the Jeep will spend the last two weeks of August in the suspension and axle shops getting overhauled.

I'm doing 37x12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapps with 4.88 gears, RCV axle shafts, Dynatrac BJs, front + rear trusses, gussets, and LCA skids. I have the HD44/J8 front axle via the Recon package so I decided to build it up instead of swapping it out. It's a little beefier than the regular front Rubi D44; heavier Cs, 1/4" brackets, and 3/8" tube wall.

I would do 4.88 or 5.13 gears with 37s. The ARB lockers use a beefier 35 spline axle shaft so if you are doing lockers and shafts at the same time, my personal vote would be for ARB air lockers and 35 spline RCV shafts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just installed the G-2 Core44 with ARB locker and 5.13 gears. I bought it when it was still relatively new to the market so there wasnt too much information available online for them, With that being said I have since learned afew things that kinda rub me the wrong way.

I caveat the following by saying i do not KNOW this stuff for sure this are things that i have read, But there still is a big void of information regarding these axels online and the customer service at G2 is pretty much nonexistent.

1) I herd that the Diff Cover is proprietary so you can only use a G2 diff cover (I havent had to change the cover so i dont know for sure)
2) I think early models had the Fill port below the fill line so you had to jack up one side of the axle to put enough fluid in, Im pretty sure this is fixed now because i didnt have any problem filling the correct amount of fluid.
3) Ive already chipped off some of the powder coating on both front and rear axels.

Dont know if this helps just my observations from the last few weeks from the instal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like best choice is PR44. I was wanting to buy this weekend, but will now have to wait as my new job did not get me in the system quick enough. I'll be waiting an extra 15 days for my 1st check.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
1) I herd that the Diff Cover is proprietary so you can only use a G2 diff cover (I havent had to change the cover so i dont know for sure)
Correct.
2) I think early models had the Fill port below the fill line so you had to jack up one side of the axle to put enough fluid in, Im pretty sure this is fixed now because i didnt have any problem filling the correct amount of fluid.
Yep, fixed.
3) I've already chipped off some of the powder coating on both front and rear axels.
Yep, you're going to lose powder coating on anything if you're planning on scraping it on the rocks underneath 5,000+ lbs

Some additional points:
  • The G2 axle has slightly different mounting locations compared to stock. The shock mounts are already pushed outboard (Generally a good thing).
  • It seems to me that the control arm mounts are slightly lower and a little closer in to the axle compared stock due to the larger tube, for a slightly worse anti-squat % and shorter required arms.
  • Not sure if the same things are the case on the ProRock. My impression is things are moved around even more on it? But I'm not sure how.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts