Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was welcomed a few days ago by the gorgeous sound of metal on metal when braking. So it is pretty safe to say that it is time to do my brakes asap. I am also thinking that since I am now running 35" tires and have added a ton of weight, I should probably upgrade just a bit. I really don't want to do a full vanco upgrade or anything crazy. I am thinking just new slotted rotors and upgraded pads. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either

-EBC slotted rotors with EBC green stuff pads meant for suvs/trucks

-Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads

The EBCs are about $20-30 more but may be worth it. Any imput is welcome.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I dont have them, but have you considered the Black Magic Pads and Centric Premium Rotors that Blaine offers? It is my understanding that they are even better than the EBC pads. This is the route I plan on taking once my pads wear out. From what Ive seen also, slotted and/or drilled rotors aren't much better in our application.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,383 Posts
Slotted, dimpled, cross-drilled, etc. rotors won't help in the least. Bite the bullet and go for Vanco's Big Brake kit (it's worth it) which will give you the braking performance required for 35" tires. The next best choice would be Black Magic's Black Magic brake pads and Centric rotors. Their pads provide the best possible braking improvement short of what you can get with Vanco's Big Brake kit. By the way, the same developer is behind both products... that would be Blaine who posts here as Black Magic Brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm I wonder what this is about? I guess we will see...

"Special Note for LJ's:
If you are considering using the Black Magic Brake pads and Centric Premium Rotors with 35" Tires or Larger, you need to contact us before purchasing. "

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking at the Tereflex Big Brake Kit... anyone have any experience with those?
I could be wrong but I have only seen TJ kits by them to swap out to convert the rear drums to discs (no need since I already have a Rubi), and big brake kits for JKs....no TJ kit.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you want to stay cheap and get way better performance, get the EBC yellows. I went from being able to stomp the pedal and not lock up the tires, to locking them up easily.

If you want the best kit out there, the AEV setup for 17" wheels is what you need. 13.2" rotors vs the stock 11" and there is no funky brackets and reground junkyard knuckles like the vanco setup. Sure, it costs more, because you get more. In the scheme of things $1700 is not much for safety and performance. I'm looking at $4K in just wheels and tires!
AEV Conversions 41002015AA - AEV Big Brake Kit for 93-06 Jeep® Vehicles with 17" Wheels - Quadratec

·
Registered
505 Posts
hawk or green pads doesnt matter and get some SS brake lines..

you want plan old flat rotors and dont need anything else,

if you hot lap your jeep then maybw but i doubt you do that. the reason they orginaly started using slotted rotors and the "cross drilled" is because older brake pads actually used to give off a gas when under high temps and this would allow that gas to excape instead of pushing back on the brake to rotor contact. they have found improvments in heat reduction with casted rotors when under these demanding conditions but also increased wear. but if your going to changed them out every few races anyways they dont really care about that. ( just a small very slimed down idea about that)

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Jgorm...not happening any time soon since I still have newish 15" rims and newer 35" tires on them.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I run Vanco's 15" kit and I'm quite happy with 33s. I was lucky enough to find a NIB kit on craigslist for quite a bit less than new price.

Well worth the investment, and I'd consider it right up there with regearing in terms of the best mods you can do and see the biggest improvement in the real world.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Wouldn't bother with EBC or AEV stuff. EBC was a great pad, but ask pretty much anyone who's switched from them to Black Magic Pads and I'd bet they'll tell you they saw a noticeable improvement after switching. As for the AEV kit, I'd take a Vanco kit over it any day.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm going to have to throw it right back and say why not. I just don't see a justification for the even more pricey AEV kit. Especially considering they took a good look at the Vanco kit before developing their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad kit, just that their are other options for better prices, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm going to have to throw it right back and say why not. I just don't see a justification for the even more pricey AEV kit. Especially considering they took a good look at the Vanco kit before developing their own.

I'm not saying it's a bad kit, just that their are other options for better prices, at least in my opinion.
The vanco kit is cheaper, so if cost is your main driver, then go vanco. I'd rather have application specific knuckles than junkyard knuckles that are reground with a funky bracket. I haven't see any info on their 17" kit so it would be unfair to compare the aev kit to the much weaker 15" vanco kit. Everybody knows that the best way to increase braking performance is to increase the rotor size.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The vanco kit is cheaper, so if cost is your main driver, then go vanco. I'd rather have application specific knuckles than junkyard knuckles that are reground with a funky bracket. I haven't see any info on their 17" kit so it would be unfair to compare the aev kit to the much weaker 15" vanco kit. Everybody knows that the best way to increase braking performance is to increase the rotor size.
I've yet to see reports of the Vanco kit failing because of "junkyard knuckles". If the Vanco kit wasn't up to snuff Blaine wouldn't be selling it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts