Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Front Bumper Bolts

19514 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Neil F.
I have a 99 TJ, anyone know what size The bolts holding the bumper on are? I have a T-50 and it isnt big enough.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
FYI, T55 and I had to drill the heads off (soft metal) and then plot hole all the way thru the bolt. Heat it up (small propane bottle) and easy-out w/o stripping the frame threads. Worked well. Replaced with above bolts as described.

· Show Me Your 8008135!
3,188 Posts
Mine were corroded as hell on the underside where they're exposed to the elements (and road salt...), but I got them off using a T-55 socket and a breaker bar with a lot of PB Blaster. Replaced with hex bolts as well.

· Motorized toy collector
3,749 Posts
^ same as all bolts.

Lefty loosey, Righty tighty.:)

· Registered
40 Posts
So to reopen an old thread, I found that the 1.5*0.5-13 bolt did fit but the choices at Home Depot were zinc or galvanized, no stainless steel. Also, I have no idea if they're grade 8 bolts. So my question is what material should I be looking for here? The bumper I'm planning on ordering is a Westin 42-2005 Trailblazer Series Black Winch Mount Front Bumper for Wrangler from Amazon. I have a TYGER on the back and this looks like it will go well with it for ca. $80 less.

I should note that the ones I got from TYGER had some sort of black coating.

· Registered
572 Posts
So to reopen an old thread, I found that the 1.5*0.5-13 bolt did fit but the choices at Home Depot were zinc or galvanized, no stainless steel. Also, I have no idea if they're grade 8 bolts. So my question is what material should I be looking for here? The bumper I'm planning on ordering is a Westin 42-2005 Trailblazer Series Black Winch Mount Front Bumper for Wrangler from Amazon. I have a TYGER on the back and this looks like it will go well with it for ca. $80 less.

I should note that the ones I got from TYGER had some sort of black coating.
Replace with Grade 8 bolts of the same size and thread pitch, use anti-seize on them. You don't want to use stainless steel on bumpers, they won't rust, as fast, but they do not have the shear strength that Grade 8 bolts do, 15,000# for a 1/2" bolt. NAPA is an excellent source for Grade 8 bolts.

· Registered
40 Posts
Apologies for my first post, I forgot to put units after 1.5*0.5-13 which is inches.

I found these 1/2"-13 x 1-1/2" Hex Head Grade 8 Phosphate and Oil Finish Steel Flange Bolt and was not aware that there is a Fastenal closer to me than either Home Depot or Lowes and a stone's throw from NAPA. From what I found the black phosphate finish is corrosion resistant and looks like a nice finish, possibly what I have on the back. Plus they're in stock.

3 more questions:

I like the idea of the flange bolt so I don't have to use washers but with the rear, it had washers and lock washers. I don't believe the bolts I took out several years had either. Any preference on this?

Why 2" over 1.5"?

Will this bolt work if it isn't fully threaded?

I guess with Fastenal 3.5 miles away, I could always try them and take them back if they don't work...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.