Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 TJ, anyone know what size The bolts holding the bumper on are? I have a T-50 and it isnt big enough.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 on the T55. Also, give them a good shot of PB Plaster or something similar a day or two before you start wrenching. Those bumper bolts can be a royal pain!

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Replace them with 1-1/2 to 2" Long 1/2"-13 UNC Grade 8 Hex head bolts, they'll make life easier later on if you ever need to remove them..

·
Registered
527 Posts
FYI, T55 and I had to drill the heads off (soft metal) and then plot hole all the way thru the bolt. Heat it up (small propane bottle) and easy-out w/o stripping the frame threads. Worked well. Replaced with above bolts as described.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Mine were corroded as hell on the underside where they're exposed to the elements (and road salt...), but I got them off using a T-55 socket and a breaker bar with a lot of PB Blaster. Replaced with hex bolts as well.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
^ same as all bolts.

Lefty loosey, Righty tighty.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
So to reopen an old thread, I found that the 1.5*0.5-13 bolt did fit but the choices at Home Depot were zinc or galvanized, no stainless steel. Also, I have no idea if they're grade 8 bolts. So my question is what material should I be looking for here? The bumper I'm planning on ordering is a Westin 42-2005 Trailblazer Series Black Winch Mount Front Bumper for Wrangler from Amazon. I have a TYGER on the back and this looks like it will go well with it for ca. $80 less.

I should note that the ones I got from TYGER had some sort of black coating.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So to reopen an old thread, I found that the 1.5*0.5-13 bolt did fit but the choices at Home Depot were zinc or galvanized, no stainless steel. Also, I have no idea if they're grade 8 bolts. So my question is what material should I be looking for here? The bumper I'm planning on ordering is a Westin 42-2005 Trailblazer Series Black Winch Mount Front Bumper for Wrangler from Amazon. I have a TYGER on the back and this looks like it will go well with it for ca. $80 less.

I should note that the ones I got from TYGER had some sort of black coating.
Replace with Grade 8 bolts of the same size and thread pitch, use anti-seize on them. You don't want to use stainless steel on bumpers, they won't rust, as fast, but they do not have the shear strength that Grade 8 bolts do, 15,000# for a 1/2" bolt. NAPA is an excellent source for Grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Replace them with 1-1/2 to 2" Long 1/2"-13 UNC Grade 8 Hex head bolts, they'll make life easier later on if you ever need to remove them..
X2. And don't worry about the gold hex head, you'll get used to it. Once I bent one of the grade 8 bolts when the tow hook was pulled hard sideways. It bent really bad but didn't give out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apologies for my first post, I forgot to put units after 1.5*0.5-13 which is inches.

I found these 1/2"-13 x 1-1/2" Hex Head Grade 8 Phosphate and Oil Finish Steel Flange Bolt and was not aware that there is a Fastenal closer to me than either Home Depot or Lowes and a stone's throw from NAPA. From what I found the black phosphate finish is corrosion resistant and looks like a nice finish, possibly what I have on the back. Plus they're in stock.

3 more questions:

I like the idea of the flange bolt so I don't have to use washers but with the rear, it had washers and lock washers. I don't believe the bolts I took out several years had either. Any preference on this?

Why 2" over 1.5"?

Will this bolt work if it isn't fully threaded?

I guess with Fastenal 3.5 miles away, I could always try them and take them back if they don't work...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts