Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help / suggestions. I bought a Rugged Ridge XHD bumper back in October along with the Hoop over rider and its nice and solid but Ive never been happy with the Aesthetics of the front of my jeep.
I have the RK 2.5 flex lift with Duratrac 315's and will eventually remove fenders to go with a flat style Fender so I'm looking for a stubby to mid width Bumper -- I like a lot of the full width bumpers ( Warn, Rock Hard) but don't want to have the mustache look down the road.
Sooooo .... My requirements were , keep factory fog lights, recessed winch, have light tabs option , shorter then full width, follow the lines of the jeep , not too heavy and an overall good looking bumper. I have already purchased a Superwinch Tigershark 9500 synthetic winch ( actually bought last fall and have never installed)

Have my choice down to --

Poison Spyder Brawler Lite ...... with skid -- $847 not painted ----- weight 80#
JCR Crusader ...... with skid --- $870 not painted ( powder coated $1055) -----weight 70# + 15# skid
Smitty Built XRC Gen2 --- $678 painted (Amazon) ----- weight 90#
weights were obtained through forum searches - did not see actual posted weights on the mfg web site -- Hot linked description added

Any Suggestions ? Looking around the net , I cant seem to find any deals on any of the three mentioned - all have free shipping - the XRC Gen 2 started off a lot cheaper on Amazon @ $581 but later increased to $678 ( lucky dogs to those that got it for that price.

Right now I like all three, actually like the Poison Spyder and JCR more but the cost ends up getting a lot higher with painting and adding stuff like fairlead mounts etc. The XRC looks good but its new and difficult to find a lot of reviews.

Love some input or maybe pointing me towards a deal

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction , just read the Brawler lite weighs 74#

Also how are those that have the PS Brawler color matching the spider - its just a cut out ---also about how much is the cost to have powder coated ? Is that different then just having it painted?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got the JCR Crusader bumper and skid. It is an excellent bumper: solid steel, the welds are good, the install was straightforward, and it has held up well for the two months I've had it on. (To compare, the first aftermarket bumper I bought started rusting after the first rainstorm!) Also bought the classic rock rails and the rear Crusader bumper and Adventure tire carrier from them. Love it all! I had them powder coat all the pieces, as it was easier for me to just have them deal with it. Also, the technical support and the general customer support from JCR has been incredible. I will definitely be ordering other parts from them in the future.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ordered the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite for my last Jeep and rattle-canned it. In my opinion, there's not a better looking bumper out there, and it's extremely well made.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite for my last Jeep and rattle-canned it. In my opinion, there's not a better looking bumper out there, and it's extremely well made.
I second that went with brawler lite went with the Rattle can.... It's beefy!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I second that went with brawler lite went with the Rattle can.... It's beefy!!!
So by rattle can - is that just a few cans of Rustoleum primer and flat black paint or the Rustoleum Bedliner paint ...
Not a painter by trade --- I can bolt and build stuff and in the process of painting my PS rear diff covers now but haven't painted anything that large - just leery of the finished product....
Any comments on how some have made the spider a different background - I saw where someone added LED lights that looked pretty tight..

Any input on the Smittybuilt XRC Gen 2 - never seen one in person ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Correction , just read the Brawler lite weighs 74# Also how are those that have the PS Brawler color matching the spider - its just a cut out ---also about how much is the cost to have powder coated ? Is that different then just having it painted?
To color match the spider on the PS bumpers go to a hardware store and get a piece of sheet metal. Cut it to fit inside the bumper. Get some spray paint that matches your jeep to paint the sheet metal. Attach to inside of bumper with double sided tape.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I used a couple cans of Duplicolor self etching primer and a few cans of Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. Powdercoat up here with the road salt just doesn't hold up. Give it a year or two and you got severe rust on your hands. Beauty of bedliner is it's almost impossible to screw up or get runs in it so if a rookie painter like myself can use the stuff anyone can. Just did this this last week since I had to get the bumper, and some other parts, sand blasted to take off the coating that was on there, was rusting in areas I couldn't get to. Fun times.

Pic mid sand blasting:

Primed (as well as a ACE rock slider, factory powder coat is 100% garbage)

And here they are as of a few minutes ago waiting for me to reinstall them.

Total cost of paint and primer, well let's say it helps to have a friend who works at Napa, maybe 55 bucks in paint and primer and I went through 3 cans of primer and 7 cans of bed liner.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went with the XRC GEN 2. Found it for 640 , free shipping. I know people have issues with Smittybilt but it fit my budget. No problems at all so far with quality and looks great. Saving up to buy the matching rear and tire carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have my eyes set on the PS Brawler lite. Looks awesome, and made in USA. I saw one in the wild in the Adirondacks last week and it looked better in person that I imagined. Not sure how Im going to finish it yet. I reached out to a local powdercoat shop and I may go there. If not, I may go the home brew bedliner. Ill get a can or two and practice at home to see how it turns out

Also that LED spyder cutout sounds like a good idea. I may have to look into that. Maybe tie the LED backlite to the fog circuit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts