Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JK 4dr stock. Over the weekend hub thought he'd be nice & power wash the mud off my tires. In the process he also power washed the silver paint off the center section of my front bumper. So...now I'm looking for bumper options.
He's a detail that adds a bit of difficulty to my bumper selection. I am business professional...wearing dresses and whatnot to work each day. Crawling out of jeep with a stinger on the front doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for. However, I am gradually starting to do some very mild trails in my jeep. So a small mod would be ok...but nothing crazy.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a JK 4dr stock. Over the weekend hub thought he'd be nice & power wash the mud off my tires. In the process he also power washed the silver paint off the center section of my front bumper. So...now I'm looking for bumper options.
He's a detail that adds a bit of difficulty to my bumper selection. I am business professional...wearing dresses and whatnot to work each day. Crawling out of jeep with a stinger on the front doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for. However, I am gradually starting to do some very mild trails in my jeep. So a small mod would be ok...but nothing crazy.
Thanks!!
You can find stock takeoffs for cheap or free, you may just want to replace it for now, it's only 8 bolts and easy to do by yourself.
And there are many bumpers to pick from with all sorts of options. The best way is to set a price limit and then just look until you see something you like.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ya, I agree about the stock take-off if weren't really looking to change the styling. That, or just having the center appliqué painted would be your cheapest option.

Based on what you said if wanting to change it up... I have the GoRhino bumper. Several options for the bull bars and end caps. Has a more modern look but not garish. Has a cover for the winch area so looks good with or without a winch. Even has a locking storage drawer. And its an easy install, except for the OEM fog lights if you have LEDs. The hole in the brackets were just a tad to small, but nothing a little bit of grinding and touch up paint couldn't take care of.

Reactions: rlbuzz

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thanks!!
I'm kind of in that same boat, except the male version (and I don't wear dresses....often.:whistling:....J/King....I do wear dresses often):rofl2:. There's a few other Jeepers in my office that fit that same business casual mold. The OEM 10A Hard Rock and AEV bumper are the 2 top choices in our office. I have, the AEV but that's only because the Hard Rock wasn't available when I got it. I'ld be happy with either, where I think you might as well.

They also won't rust out like some of the inexpensive aftermarket options, and can be fitted with or without a winch if that interests you at all and also have with and without front tube bar options.

There's a director level lady in my office rocking a JKU with 37s, AEV 3.5in lift and AEV bumpers, I'll post a pic once I get back from lunch.

Reactions: deeve

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A few screws and the silver cover comes off and leaves an all black bumper ( don't even have to remove the bumper to take it off on the front)

Here's my stock Sahara bumper minus the silver cover (also added the VDP stubby end caps)
c753a98a7efc4bae9fd12fb0d1e1e543.jpg

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Ok, I just walked around the work parking lot, taking pics. Unfortunately, the lady with the 37's wasn't in, but there was another one very similar.

My JKU with front AEV tubeless bumper.

Another AEV tubeless

AEV with tube

Hard Rock 10A bumper

Then there's the fella, with the non AEV or HR bumpers who may be wishing they had them at this point due to some rust problems.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ok, I just walked around the work parking lot, taking pics. Unfortunately, the lady with the 37's wasn't in, but there was another one very similar.

My JKU with front AEV tubeless bumper.

Another AEV tubeless

AEV with tube

Hard Rock 10A bumper

Then there's the fella, with the non AEV or HR bumpers who may be wishing they had them at this point due to some rust problems.

Yeah, AEV or Go Home! :worthy: :rolleyes:

Errr, wait...I have a Smittybilt.

One 3" scratch in front on collision...

The other vehicle...

Don't listen to snobs, do your homework.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
So now I'm a snob for suggesting an AEV bumper because it fits the OP's description of not having gaudy stingers and not looking over the top?

Am I less of a snob, if I tell you I likely paid less for my AEV bumper than you did for your Smittybilt or do you just throw people into generalized categories automatically?

I'm sorry about the frame damage you sustained in that accident which is apparent by the pics you posted since the passenger side of the bumper is pushed in further than the driver side. You might have been able to avoid that frame damage, if you had gotten a bumper with crush cans and therefore wouldn't have transfered all that force into the frame and causing it to get bent. But hey!!! The bumper only has a 3in scratch on it, so that's a bonus!!! Not so good on the frame though. I'm not sure which I rather be replacing a bumper or a frame.

Reactions: trandz

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Take a look at Hyline's bumpers. Nice and sleek but nothing too radical. The Light Bar is optional, so you could skip that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of plastic bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'm not sure which I rather be replacing a bumper or a frame.
How about both?
Mine was hit dead on from the driver side (t-boned). Major frame damage.
Considering the force of impact, I think the bumper did ok. Jeep, not so much. :rip:

All these steel bumpers can take a beating, but when they are attached to the frame, the energy is going to transfer in a serious impact. AEV, smitty, dv8... doesn't matter. Crush cans are for parking lot fender benders.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you should get the AEV premium bumper, and I know someone selling a brand new one, still in the box for a steal. 😀

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Crush cans are for parking lot fender benders.
So that must be the reason they install crush cans in race cars. Trying to avoid all those parking lot fender benders. Good to know. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
How about both?
Mine was hit dead on from the driver side (t-boned). Major frame damage.
Considering the force of impact, I think the bumper did ok. Jeep, not so much. :rip:

All these steel bumpers can take a beating, but when they are attached to the frame, the energy is going to transfer in a serious impact. AEV, smitty, dv8... doesn't matter. Crush cans are for parking lot fender benders.

Looks like your Go Rhino BRJ40 fared pretty well. Being a modular bumper, the fact that the end caps bolt to the center part of the bumper may have served to act a little bit like a crush zone, dissipating some of the energy of the impact, as compared to a solid steel design bumper.

Reactions: SBAmadeo and d2mini

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
So that must be the reason they install crush cans in race cars. Trying to avoid all those parking lot fender benders. Good to know. Thanks!
Instead of reverting to sarcasm and poor analogies, maybe try showing us how an impact forceful enough to severely damage the frame would magically vanish due to a couple of crush cans.

Straight from AEV's FAQ page...

"The factory crush cans are an integral part of the JK’s low-speed impact absorption system and are tuned to work in concert with the vehicle’s Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) for proper airbag deployment. It is import to recognize that the vast majority of aftermarket bumper manufactures make no provisions in their bumper designs to prevent a low speed deployment of the airbags. AEV is not willing to make this compromise."

So don't think that your Jeep would have faired any better in my accident or the other guy's accident because of your AEV bumper. It's a nice bumper, but it's not a force shield.

Reactions: WillJeep2009

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Instead of reverting to sarcasm and poor analogies, maybe try showing us how an impact forceful enough to severely damage the frame would magically vanish due to a couple of crush cans.

Straight from AEV's FAQ page...

"The factory crush cans are an integral part of the JK’s low-speed impact absorption system and are tuned to work in concert with the vehicle’s Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) for proper airbag deployment. It is import to recognize that the vast majority of aftermarket bumper manufactures make no provisions in their bumper designs to prevent a low speed deployment of the airbags. AEV is not willing to make this compromise."

So don't think that your Jeep would have faired any better in my accident or the other guy's accident because of your AEV bumper. It's a nice bumper, but it's not a force shield.
Ok. The federal regulation is that an OEM bumper at "minimum" has to be able to absorb the force of an impact up to 5MPH without their being damage to the frame, achieved through the use of a crush can in reference to the AEV, ARB, Stock, and HR bumpers because they're the only ones considerate enough to take your safety into consideration of their bumper designs while the other aftermarket bumpers obviously don't give a sh*t about your safety. That 5 MPH impact is the minimum. So what is the AEV bumper's crush cans actually designed to absorb? I don't know, and neither do you but we now know it's a "minimum" of 5MPH worth of force on a vehicle that weights 4500lbs. What I do know is that a crush can is designed to absorb kinetic energy so that less of that kinetic energy gets transferred into the frame and more so important, is that less of that energy is transferred into the occupants inside of the vehicle. Thus, the reason why they're used in race cars since you seemed to miss the obvious point being made and call it a poor analogy. I can't help it, if you seem to have no idea what the purpose of a crush can is designed to do.

So do I know if the AEV crush cans would have protected his frame from being damaged? Obviously, no I don't and neither does anyone else. There is a limitation as to how much force the crush can will absorb. What I do know with 100% confidence is that there would have been less damage to his frame if the bumper he had, did have crush cans than if it didn't. How much force? Well how about Newton's Law says Force=Mass X Acceleration. The mass is the weight of the vehicle and the weight of a JKU is 4500lbs, and the "minimum" acceleration is 5 MPH. In other words that is a lot of Force, that those crush cans are designed to absorb. And it's that much force at a minimum that wouldn't have been transferred into the frame and since the bumper on the photos shown, shows the bumper to be off axis by 2-3inches, it is well within reason that it is highly possible, that no frame damage could have been the outcome of that impact "if" he had a bumper that had crush cans.

You try to act like it's nothing the crush can is doing, but seem to ignore that's at minimum 5MPH on a 4500lb vehicle. If you don't think that's a lot of force, then how about standing in front of my Jeep while I'm driving 5MPH and see how that much force feels?

Is that good enough for you?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ok. The federal regulation is that an OEM bumper at "minimum" has to be able to absorb the force of an impact up to 5MPH without their being damage to the frame, achieved through the use of a crush can in reference to the AEV, ARB, Stock, and HR bumpers because they're the only ones considerate enough to take your safety into consideration of their bumper designs while the other aftermarket bumpers obviously don't give a sh*t about your safety. That 5 MPH impact is the minimum. So what is the AEV bumper's crush cans actually designed to absorb? I don't know, and neither do you but we now know it's a "minimum" of 5MPH worth of force on a vehicle that weights 4500lbs. What I do know is that a crush can is designed to absorb kinetic energy so that less of that kinetic energy gets transferred into the frame and more so important, is that less of that energy is transferred into the occupants inside of the vehicle. Thus, the reason why they're used in race cars since you seemed to miss the obvious point being made.

So do I know if the AEV crush cans would have protected his frame from being damaged? Obviously, no I don't and neither does anyone else. There is a limitation as to how much force the crush can will absorb. What I do know with 100% confidence is that there would have been less damage to his frame if the bumper he had, did have crush cans than if it didn't. How much force? Well how about Newton's Law says Force=Mass X Acceleration. The mass is the weight of the vehicle and the weight of a JKU is 4500lbs, and the "minimum" acceleration is 5 MPH. In other words that is a lot of Force, that those crush cans are designed to absorb. And it's that much force at a minimum that wouldn't have been transferred into the frame and since the bumper on the photos shown, shows the bumper to be off axis by 2-3inches, it is well within reason that it is highly possible, that no frame damage could have been the outcome of that impact "if" he had a bumper that had crush cans.

You say 5 MPH like it is nothing but you seem to ignore that's 5MPH on a 4500lb vehicle. If you don't think that's a lot of force, then how about standing in front of my Jeep while I'm driving 5MPH and see how that much force feels?

If that good enough for you?
I know @strmanglr hurt your feelings... but give it up. :nonono:
No one here said anything about a 5mph crash. The crash cans are meant to make sure your airbag doesn't deploy at low speed impacts. A nice little bonus is it may minimize superficial damage as well. Parking lot damage.

But back to topic... with a high speed hit, the frame is toast... cans or no cans.
By looking at any of the pics above, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think otherwise. At that point, who cares what little force is absorbed by the crush cans. And in the sideways hit my Jeep took, zero force.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Who the hell crashes at 5 mph? And what damage is done? A few scratches and maybe a dent? The Jeep crush cans are just a waste of space I'm, solid metal on mine

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Who the hell crashes at 5 mph? And what damage is done? A few scratches and maybe a dent? The Jeep crush cans are just a waste of space I'm, solid metal on mine
Read
Tests show most bumpers are bad

Small cars suffer major damage in low-speed crashes

then read some more
https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html

The main purpose of a bumper is to reduce the costs of repairs to the higher cost and safety related components in minor impact situations. That is what those crush cans are intended to do, instead of causing the frame to buckle.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Your ignorance is bliss. Now you know the reasons for my original sarcasm. It's a waste of time in trying to talk logic with someone who is determined to be an idiot.

This conversation is not with @strmangler , it's with you obviously not knowing anything about the purpose of a crush can. According to @strmangler , anyone with an AEV bumper are "snobs". You might want to check with him on that AEV lift you have, he likely feels the same way about you as well.
LOL, yes... it definitely is a waste of time arguing with yourself about 5mph crashes.

I love the AEV lift because it serves my purpose perfectly. That's all that matters. Not what someone else on the great wide interwebs thinks about it. Personally, I really don't like the look of the AEV bumpers and I would absolutely hate having the same bumper as everyone else... in the same office building no less. And I'm sure many people hate the look of my bumper because it's not "traditional" or something. Who cares? What's awesome is having so many choices to personalize and make your jeep your own. Grow some thicker skin instead of acting like a child, and if you truly believe that your crash cans would have avoided frame damage in strmanglr's situation, show some proof. Not a bunch of links talking about 5mph crashes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts