Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I find myself once again learning the hard way. Last week I purchased a Engo 10k w/synthetic rope winch, should be here tomorrow. Looking at the stock front bumper, it looks kinda wimpy. So I start looking around for something beefier and came across a bumper with a load limit of 9,500lbs. Ok, close enough to topping out the winch I bought. But as I look at other bumpers, I noted none of the others seem to give a capacity. While I don't expect to ever need all 10k of the winch, I wonder why most of the other manufacturers don't put a capacity out there.

While we are talking bumpers, any suggestions? Trails mostly, no rock crawling and highway. Prolly a mid sized bumper so there is some tire protection, but I don't want it the width of the Jeep.

Thanks,

Butch

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
The flimsy-ness of your stock bumper has no effect on properly mounting your winch. A winch plate is used for the winch and the bolts that attach it to the frame just go through the bumper.

So, You have two options.

1. Get a winch plate to use with your stock bumper. You can also use it with an aftermarket bumper if you get one later. Slightly raised winch plates work better with larger aftermarket bumpers as you will get no interference with the front two winch mounting bolt heads. Most winch plates will accept 99% of winches over the recommended 8000# range. Warn uprights excluded

2. A winch ready bumper. It has a plate integrated into the bumper that accepts 99% of winches with the standard winch mount. Warn uprights excluded.

I have never actually seen a rating on winch plates or bumpers. But, have never really looked either!

Edit: of the winch ready bumpers that are out there, I like Savvy's aluminum, and JCR's line of bumpers. Both are made here in the good ole USA.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
When using a winch with the stock bumper, the winch plate will be bolted to the frame so the strength of the bumper is irrelevant. I'm running a winch with my stock bumper at the moment. Personally I'm not a fan of big heavy steel bumpers, I just don't see the point in adding all that extra weight. Some day I'd like to get an aluminum front bumper from Savvy, but until then the stock bumper suits my needs just fine.

Some bumpers do in fact have a winch plate built into them, but again the bumper is bolted to the frame. Any bumper made out of a material with sufficient strength should be fine, but this is where buying something of quality versus something cheap is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Like the above says, the winch is attached to the frame for strength, not the bumper.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
But as I look at other bumpers, I noted none of the others seem to give a capacity. While I don't expect to ever need all 10k of the winch, I wonder why most of the other manufacturers don't put a capacity out there.
The issue is:

1.) A warn or Ramsey 10k winch is physically larger than 9,500-lower. On several of our bumpers, those big winches won't fit.

2.) china winches say 10k, but are the same size physically as their and other companies 8k winches. China winches will fit, no matter their 'rating'.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
The bumper on your Jeep is exactly what the name implies, "A Bumper!" It is not a support for your winch

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue is:

1.) A warn or Ramsey 10k winch is physically larger than 9,500-lower. On several of our bumpers, those big winches won't fit.

2.) china winches say 10k, but are the same size physically as their and other companies 8k winches. China winches will fit, no matter their 'rating'.

JCR, it was actually your website and bumper info that got me thinking about this, so I appreciate you adding input. As I say, its a 10k Engo, and being a veteran, I'm all about buying American when I can. The price of the Engo was too good to pass up last week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts