Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited.... The trim piece on the front bumper left of the fog light has a large circular crease in it. Attached photo. If I want to replace this piece what is it called :) and what is the best place to source from? I'm not looking to do a different front bumper at this time... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That piece is not replaceable. It is part of the molded bumper cover. Your cheapest solution is to find one in good shape that someone took off when they replaced it with an aftermarket bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That piece is not replaceable. It is part of the molded bumper cover. Your cheapest solution is to find one in good shape that someone took off when they replaced it with an aftermarket bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not what I was hoping to hear :). I am wondering if I can make a slight improvement with heat gun in the short term. This is an odd defect.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I would either get a minty fresh replacement (I gave a rear bumper away….. so they won’t be expensive) and this will fix the front-license plate hole issue as I believe many don’t have them……

or just ignore it, as it’s not really that noticeable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's not what I was hoping to hear :). I am wondering if I can make a slight improvement with heat gun in the short term. This is an odd defect.
I don’t think it’s a defect per say. The circular outline that you see is probably that of the passenger side crush can which is located directly behind the bumper cover. The impression likely resulted from a low speed impact to the front bumper. And yes, we’re better off finding a replacement bumper. They can typically be had for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
584 Posts
(Edited - added picture)
It's not a defect, it's an impact mark - that circle impression is the actual metal frame behind the plastic, and to have a crease like that, the bumper came into contact with something. Obviously not hard enough to set off the airbag, but hard enough to leave that mark. In the attach photo, I circled the part of the bumper behind the plastic overlay that made the mark.

(Edit #2) - Just realized you have the stubby end caps and not the OEM - which may have been replaced at the time of the impact to hide the extent of the damage (you have to cut the bumper frame to install the stubby end caps)... just a guess, but one the facts seem to support.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
75 Posts
Supporting the slight impact theory. The two small wrinkles at the top corners of that section indicate the plastic was impacted creating a bit of buckling.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts