Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and first time asking a question -

I slightly damaged the driver's side of the front bumper (black plastic part only). I am looking to replace it myself. First, as a replacement part, what am I looking to purchase? The Mopar website wasn't too helpful. Is it the bumper? Fascia? Second, is it hard to change the plastic bumper cover? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just went through this myself, after I hit a deer and put a nasty dent in the black plastic part of my bumper. (Took it to a body shop at first, fearing I did more damage, but they said no -- only the plastic cover and fog lights needed replacement in my case.)

I don't know what MOPAR calls the part, but fascia might be right? It's a pretty inexpensive part though ($200-ish is what the body shop quoted me for it).

It's really not that hard to change, although you definitely want a breaker bar that you can put sockets on, to make it easier to break the bolts loose that tighten it down. (I have 3/8" socket sets around here, and found a 3/8" breaker bar at Lowes for about $14.)

I used this as an opportunity to put a new, aftermarket bumper on though -- rather than just repairing the damaged plastic cover on the factory one. This forum has a message thread that explains the disassembly process really well:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-front-bumper-removal-tutorial-133532.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just unbolt it from the metal underneath. Not very difficult.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just sold the complete stock front bumper off my 2016 Rubicon (w/fogs) for $50! Most people end up giving them away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it's just dented plastic, here's what I did. Drill in a screw. Use a hair dryer to heat the bumper. With pliers, pull on the screw & the bumper pops back out. Then use a Bic lighter to melt the screw hole shut. Perfecto & cost is $0.00

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the tip.....I've got a dent in mine right now and was wondering about using a heat gun. Hair dryer method seems better, less heat/more control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts