Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just run the power line under the dash and tie into a switched circuit (like the cigarette lighter on the dash)

That way it turns on and off with the key, and doesn't kill the batt. Though it would take forever because that Uses next to no power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forgot to mention, that's only gonna work with 12v DC cameras... should be able to locate one without too much issue. Cannot use anything that uses AC like the 12/24 AC security cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Commercial Member
553 Posts
That would work fine for powering it. A lot of The of the cameras come with an rca extension cable that has a small power wire attached to it. Just make sure that you put a small amperage fuse in line at the source of the power. A method of making the connection that I use a fair amount of taking a standard uninsulated butt splice and crimping two wires under one side and then covering it with some marine grade heat shrink. Where are you planning to mount the camera? If your planning to mount it near the rear view mirror there is an accessory power wire in the mirror harness that you could use.

I installed a rear facing camera on my tire carrier and connected it to a replacement mirror. It is my full time rear view. Gives me a 170 degree color view which is a lot better than my stick mirror with the tire and wiper motor. Since it was a replacement for my mirror view I got it without guidelines. Only real problems I have are glare from headlights at night and being outside the lens gets wet when it rains.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would work fine for powering it. A lot of The of the cameras come with an rca extension cable that has a small power wire attached to it. Just make sure that you put a small amperage fuse in line at the source of the power. A method of making the connection that I use a fair amount of taking a standard uninsulated butt splice and crimping two wires under one side and then covering it with some marine grade heat shrink. Where are you planning to mount the camera? If your planning to mount it near the rear view mirror there is an accessory power wire in the mirror harness that you could use.
I was wanting to place it on the front bumper or in the grill

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts