Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about shimming my front axle due to the lift shackles throwing my pinion and caster out of spec. My front axle pinion is now at about 6* and it is pointing directly at the front transfer case yoke. I verified it by using a piece of angle iron between the 2 yokes and it's reading 6* just like the axle pinion. And the transfercase is at 3*

I got it installed today and took it around town at speeds under 40mph and it was smooth no vibes at all so i decided to take it out on the highway and give it a high speed test. This is where i started to get a slight vibration at speeds at about 55mph and over. It's not horrible but it is there so now im kind of at a loss... This should have fixed my front drive line problem but im still getting some vibes and i don't know what else to check. the trasfer-case output is tight there is no play n the bearing and there is no play in the pinion bearings everything is tight.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Where is the vibration? Pedal? Steering wheel? Floor?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the vibration? Pedal? Steering wheel? Floor?
Feels like mostly in the floor, i been driving this thing for the past several years with no driveshaft so it's pretty apparent even though it's slight. I will call Tom Woods up and ask them about it tomorrow but i thought id check here first.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures the angle is not steep or anything and it is pointing right at the transfer-case yoke.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Tom Woods back and asked them about my vibes and they are sending me another shaft and are going to triple check the balance on it and a tag to send the old one back. I honestly did not expect that i figured id get the run around and just have to live with some vibes. Next time i buy a driveshaft it will be from Tom Woods they have great customer service! I just hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. I asked Extreme Terrain/Barricade winch if I could BUY a replacement clutch lever. They said get lost... Nice to know there are still good companies left.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the new Tom Woods shaft today that had been "triple balanced" The first thing i noticed is that it has weights welded on the CV H Yoke. I don't really like the look or the thought of welding stuff to the cast H yoke but it's probably not issue. So i got it put in and took it out on the highway up to 70 MPH with no vibration at all. I thought about pushing 80 MPH but i didn't feel like getting ticket.

So yeah... the triple balancing did the trick a big thanks to Tom Woods for sending me out a second shaft and paying return shipping on the first that was really generous of him he is a really cool guy VERY helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts